2001 inconsisitencies relative to existing database

  • Michael Mavrogiannis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2001
      Some miscellaneous problems I found while loading the 2001 update into a
      copy of the existing Access 97 database. Although largely trivial, such
      things tend to pile up against the goal of maintaining a consistent
      database.

      Teams.Pos and Teams.Ballpark are missing from the text file.

      Teams.IP is defined as an integer field in the existing database, resulting
      in truncation, rather than rounding, of all thirds of innings.
      Historically, even in years when innings were officially defined as being
      rounded to the nearest whole number, the database has all fractions in
      Teams.IP truncated rather than rounded.

      Batting.Pos contains scoring symbols 1 thru 9 in 2001, as opposed to all
      prior years when it contained "PC123SO". In addition, the asterisk,
      previously used to indicate a position at which a player played 100 or more
      games, now appears with a minimum of 67 games.

      The following might trip you up while loading the tables, although they can
      be worked around. In the text files, several of the field names are spelled
      differently and appear in a different order than the database definitions.
      The lines of the text files end with a linefeed (‘0a'x) only, rather than a
      carriage return (‘0d'x), which caused my Visual Basic program not to
      recognize the end of each record. I got around this by opening each file
      with a word processing program and saving a copy in text format. (Trying
      this with a spreadsheet program converted many of the Batting.Pos fields
      into dates.)