Re: [baseball-databank] Digest Number 1339

  • Neal Traven
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
      The Master table contains MLB players. The 120 managers in your list never played in the majors.

      neal

      On 2/13/2014 3:13 am, baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1a. Re: Latest update availalable
          From: Paul Reeths

      Message
      1a. Re: Latest update availalable
          Posted by: "Paul Reeths" paul.reeths@... paul.reeths
          Date: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 pm ((PST))

      If I'm looking at this correctly, I believe the Master table is missing some managers. I looked for Jim Leyland in the Master file, for instance and didn't find him. I then ran a query to choose all those whose IDs appeared in the Managers table but not in the master table and came up with the following list of 120 IDs. Perhaps those who only had managerIDs in the last version of the db were omitted from the Master table?

      actama99
      adairbi99
      armoubi99
      bancrfr99
      barroed99
      bevinte99
      bezdehu99
      bicke99
      bolesjo99
      bristda99
      brownda99
      brownfr99
      buckeal99
      burnhwa99
      butleor99
      byrnech99
      cammebi99
      cantijo99
      cayloop99
      collite99
      curtied99
      cushmch99
      davidmo99
      dayjo99
      diddlha99
      ebbetch99
      fessewa99
      fogelho99
      frazege99
      freyji99
      fuchsju99
      gaffnjo99
      galanma99
      garcida99
      giffoji99
      gonzafr99
      graffma99
      hackech99
      hartji99
      hartjo99
      heilblo99
      hendebi99
      hengled99
      hewetwa99
      hillmtr99
      himslve99
      hoeyfr99
      huffge99
      hurstti99
      hydebr99
      keanejo99
      kenneji99
      kenneke99
      krolja99
      kuehlka99
      leadlbo99
      leylaji99
      leyvani99
      littlgr99
      lucchfr99
      maddojo99
      mccalja99
      mccarjo99
      mcclojo99
      mcgahme99
      mckeoja99
      mcknide99
      mclarjo99
      mcmange99
      mcnamjo99
      merrist99
      mileyda99
      millera99
      mosesfe99
      murrabi99
      mutriji99
      owenspa99
      ozarkda99
      phelale99
      phillho99
      phillle99
      popowed99
      powerpa99
      priceji99
      quademi99
      rappve99
      riddogr99
      rigglji99
      ripkeca99
      robisst99
      rowlapa99
      sawyeed99
      scanlmi99
      schaebo99
      schmegu99
      seleefr99
      sharsbi99
      shepala99
      shettbi99
      showabu99
      simmole99
      spencha99
      sullipa99
      tayloge99
      thomafr99
      thompam99
      tigheja99
      toscaca99
      trebeto99
      trembda99
      turnete99
      vondech99
      walshmi99
      waltzjo99
      watkiha99
      weaveea99
      williji99
      winklbo99
      wrighal99
      youngni99

      Paul Reeths

      neal traven                              beisbol@...
        "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
                                     -- Larry Andersen, relief pitcher

    • Paul Reeths
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
        It was my understanding that the Master table should still contain the bio info for everyone referenced in the database, regardless of whether or not they played, but only now all the IDs (manager, HOF and player) were now consolidated under playerID. You will notice in the Managers table that the first field is now playerID, not managerID. If the ID leylaji99 in that table does not refer to the Master table, in which table should I look to locate the ID and Jim Leyland's bio information?

        Paul Reeths

        >________________________________

        1a. Re: Latest update availalable Posted by: "Paul Reeths" paul.reeths@... paul.reeths Date: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 pm ((PST)) If I'm looking at this correctly, I believe the Master table is missing some managers. I looked for Jim Leyland in the Master file, for instance and didn't find him. I then ran a query to choose all those whose IDs appeared in the Managers table but not in the master table and came up with the following list of 120 IDs. Perhaps those who only had managerIDs in the last version of the db were omitted from the Master table? actama99
        adairbi99
        armoubi99
        bancrfr99
        barroed99
        bevinte99
        bezdehu99
        bicke99
        bolesjo99
        bristda99
        brownda99
        brownfr99
        buckeal99
        burnhwa99
        butleor99
        byrnech99
        cammebi99
        cantijo99
        cayloop99
        collite99
        curtied99
        cushmch99
        davidmo99
        dayjo99
        diddlha99
        ebbetch99
        fessewa99
        fogelho99
        frazege99
        freyji99
        fuchsju99
        gaffnjo99
        galanma99
        garcida99
        giffoji99
        gonzafr99
        graffma99
        hackech99
        hartji99
        hartjo99
        heilblo99
        hendebi99
        hengled99
        hewetwa99
        hillmtr99
        himslve99
        hoeyfr99
        huffge99
        hurstti99
        hydebr99
        keanejo99
        kenneji99
        kenneke99
        krolja99
        kuehlka99
        leadlbo99
        leylaji99
        leyvani99
        littlgr99
        lucchfr99
        maddojo99
        mccalja99
        mccarjo99
        mcclojo99
        mcgahme99
        mckeoja99
        mcknide99
        mclarjo99
        mcmange99
        mcnamjo99
        merrist99
        mileyda99
        millera99
        mosesfe99
        murrabi99
        mutriji99
        owenspa99
        ozarkda99
        phelale99
        phillho99
        phillle99
        popowed99
        powerpa99
        priceji99
        quademi99
        rappve99
        riddogr99
        rigglji99
        ripkeca99
        robisst99
        rowlapa99
        sawyeed99
        scanlmi99
        schaebo99
        schmegu99
        seleefr99
        sharsbi99
        shepala99
        shettbi99
        showabu99
        simmole99
        spencha99
        sullipa99
        tayloge99
        thomafr99
        thompam99
        tigheja99
        toscaca99
        trebeto99
        trembda99
        turnete99
        vondech99
        walshmi99
        waltzjo99
        watkiha99
        weaveea99
        williji99
        winklbo99
        wrighal99
        youngni99 Paul Reeths

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
          I agree with Paul.  Non-playing managers should be in the master file, along with non-playing Hall of Famers (Bill Klem, Ford Frick, Josh Gibson).

          It was my understanding that the Master table should still contain the bio info for everyone referenced in the database, regardless of whether or not they played, but only now all the IDs (manager, HOF and player) were now consolidated under playerID. You will notice in the Managers table that the first field is now playerID, not managerID. If the ID leylaji99 in that table does not refer to the Master table, in which table should I look to locate the ID and Jim Leyland's bio information?

          Paul Reeths

          >________________________________

        • Sean Lahman
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
            Paul et al,
            This was a mix-up on my end.  Neal and Kevin are right that that  non-playing managers and HOFers were inadvertently excluded from my last push of the master table.  I will have a new release later today that re-includes them.  As a matter of design, the master table should always include IDs and biographical info for any person who has records in the database.

            This is an opportunity to mention something that has been alluded to earlier, but perhaps not formally announced.  Beginning this year, updates to the master table as well as many of the key statistical tables are going to be provided to the Databank project by the Chadwick Bureau, whose proprietor Ted Turocy should be a familiar name to most of you. For many years, Ted has championed the effort to standardize the identification of baseball people  -- encompassing major and minor league players, executives, scouts, umpires, etc. -- and to help create standards that make it easier for folks who publish baseball data to integrate and connect their data sets.  In addition to his many open source contributions. Ted provides data and services for a variety of private clients.  Whether you're interested in those open source offerings or his professional services, I encourage you to check out his website at http://chadwick-bureau.com/

            --Sean

            ---
            Sean Lahman
            http://seanlahman.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
              > In addition to his many open source contributions. Ted
              > provides data and services for a variety of private clients. Whether
              > you're interested in those open source offerings or his professional
              > services, I encourage you to check out his website at
              > http://chadwick-bureau.com/

              I will add my voice to Sean's with respect to Ted.

              If I had to choose one person that I have ever been involved with with
              regards to processing baseball information, there's no one I would put
              ahead of Ted.

              And his Chadwick tools are the only tools I use to process Retrosheet data.

              Tom
            • Paul Reeths
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
                Sean,

                Thank you much. I know that integrating the various ID fields had to have its share of challenges, but in the end I think the database will be more streamlined. Some short-term pain will net some long-term gains.

                Awesome to hear of Dr. Turocy's involvement.

                Paul Reeths

                >________________________________

              • ShekWebb
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2014
                  Hi all,
                  I wanted to check in on the latest SQL version and if it was available and if I missed somewhere in the past threads. If not, I believe I can put together a SQL version from the csv files but wanted to check if this is already being worked on and will be coming out soon. I think there is some shifts in the IDs(maybe only lahmanID) in the master table that is causing problems for me in loading into the previous beta version of the SQL database for 2013.

                  thanks,

                  Mike
                • Paul Reeths
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 17, 2014
                    Just wanted to check in to see if the non-players had been added to the Master table.

                    Paul Reeths

                  • Sean Lahman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17, 2014
                      All,
                      I just realized that the last update didn't get published due to operator error.  I didn't realize it was draft mode.  Will fix shortly, and most recent updates should become visible and downloadable.

                      --Sean

                    • Paul Reeths
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 17, 2014
                        Thanks, Sean!