2013 Beta-Release Bugs

  • Ian Orr
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2013
      Importing the 2013-12-10 beta release into PostgreSQL, I found the following:

      1)  Line 9894 of the BattingPost CSV ends with an "invalid" byte sequence for encoding UTF8 (0xa0). This is Mark Teixera's 2011 ALDS1 line.

      2)  In the Master CSV, about a dozen Tennessee death states say "TEN" instead of "TN".

      3)  Also in Master CSV, line 18300's college entry, "California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo", has more than 50 characters, exceeding the column's defined length in the database dump.

      4)  Several 2012 entries in PitchingPost.CSV have non-integer IPouts entries, usually ending with .999999 or .9999998.

      5)  Several 2013 entries in Teams.CSV are non-integers, ending in .3 or .6.

      --Ian
    • Sean Lahman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
        Thanks for the feedback, Ian.  I'll make these fixes for the next release.

        Just as an aside, it's been about five years since we added the schools table in an attemot to normalize the names of colleges, but I don't think the way we've implemented it has been very effective. This is something I'll take a closer look at during the off-season.  (Of course, I'll fix the CalTech SLO entry in the meantime.

        --Sean

        ---
        Sean Lahman
        http://seanlahman.com

        On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Ian Orr <ianworr@...> wrote:

        Importing the 2013-12-10 beta release into PostgreSQL, I found the following:

        1)  Line 9894 of the BattingPost CSV ends with an "invalid" byte sequence for encoding UTF8 (0xa0). This is Mark Teixera's 2011 ALDS1 line.

        2)  In the Master CSV, about a dozen Tennessee death states say "TEN" instead of "TN".

        3)  Also in Master CSV, line 18300's college entry, "California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo", has more than 50 characters, exceeding the column's defined length in the database dump.

        4)  Several 2012 entries in PitchingPost.CSV have non-integer IPouts entries, usually ending with .999999 or .9999998.

        5)  Several 2013 entries in Teams.CSV are non-integers, ending in .3 or .6.

        --Ian

      • Theodore Turocy
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
          On Dec 12, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Sean Lahman <seanlahman@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the feedback, Ian. I'll make these fixes for the next release.
          >
          > Just as an aside, it's been about five years since we added the schools table in an attemot to normalize the names of colleges, but I don't think the way we've implemented it has been very effective. This is something I'll take a closer look at during the off-season. (Of course, I'll fix the CalTech SLO entry in the meantime.

          Yes, because there is no Caltech in SLO. It's in Pasadena.

          BIG difference.

          Ted
          Beavers '94
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
            But there is a Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo.

            THANKS,
            Kevin Johnson

            > Thanks for the feedback, Ian.  I'll make these fixes for the next release.
            >
            > Just as an aside, it's been about five years since we added the schools table in an attemot to normalize the names of colleges, but I don't think the way we've implemented it has been very effective. This is something I'll take a closer look at during the off-season.  (Of course, I'll fix the CalTech SLO entry in the meantime.

            Yes, because there is no Caltech in SLO.    It's in Pasadena.

            BIG difference.

            Ted
            Beavers '94

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
                baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Theodore Turocy
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
              On Dec 12, 2013, at 9:49 PM, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...> wrote:

              > But there is a Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo.

              And you've completely missed the point of my post, Kevin. ;)

              Ted
            • Sean Lahman
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
                My apologies to all who attended public universities in the state of California for mangling my attempt at a shorthand for "California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo."  The names of those places are so unwieldy... thankfully the folks where I went to grad school had the sense to just refer to their institution as "Cal."  :-)

                Bazinga,
                --Sean

                ---
                Sean Lahman
                http://seanlahman.com

                From: Theodore Turocy <drarbiter@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
                  On Dec 12, 2013, at 10:13 PM, Sean Lahman <seanlahman@...> wrote:

                  > My apologies to all who attended public universities in the state of California for mangling my attempt at a shorthand for "California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo." The names of those places are so unwieldy... thankfully the folks where I went to grad school had the sense to just refer to their institution as "Cal." :-)

                  Strike two. Caltech isn't public. :)

                  Ted