Attendance Data

  • Derek Adair
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Gang,

      I've filled in the attendance data for all the teams, except for the FL.
      TB7 was my source. STP of the UA (1884) is listed as 0, so that's
      what I put, but not sure what's up with that. That might better be
      handed with a null.

      I've also made corrections to attendance data and compared the
      totals for each year with TB7's data. All match up through 2000.

      If anyone else independently verifies, please note there are
      *numerous* typos in the totalling of the data in TB7 (most are
      in the ML totals, but there are some in the AL and NL totals as
      well). I'd estimate the number of addition errors at 50 or so.

      Also, the 1998-2000 attendance figures were completely different.
      I did searches on the web and found references to the TB7 data
      on numerous pages (forbes.com, for example), but very few to
      the Lahman DB data other than baseball-reference.com, so I went
      with the TB7 numbers. If there's a compelling reason to change
      back, let me know, and I'll switch those back in the file.

      The file will be posted in the groups files section.

      Regards,
      Derek Adair
      dadair@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
        Derek Adair wrote:

        > Gang,
        >
        > I've filled in the attendance data for all the teams, except for the FL.
        > TB7 was my source. STP of the UA (1884) is listed as 0, so that's
        > what I put, but not sure what's up with that. That might better be
        > handed with a null.
        >
        > I've also made corrections to attendance data and compared the
        > totals for each year with TB7's data. All match up through 2000.
        >
        > If anyone else independently verifies, please note there are
        > *numerous* typos in the totalling of the data in TB7 (most are
        > in the ML totals, but there are some in the AL and NL totals as
        > well). I'd estimate the number of addition errors at 50 or so.
        >
        > Also, the 1998-2000 attendance figures were completely different.
        > I did searches on the web and found references to the TB7 data
        > on numerous pages (forbes.com, for example), but very few to
        > the Lahman DB data other than baseball-reference.com, so I went
        > with the TB7 numbers. If there's a compelling reason to change
        > back, let me know, and I'll switch those back in the file.
        >
        > The file will be posted in the groups files section.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Derek Adair
        > dadair@...

        Thanks Derek. Did any of those sources list home dates. Meaning they
        combined double-headers into a single date and separated Day-night
        doubleheaders. I think I can probably do that with the retrosheet game
        log data as well (at least back to 1901). I'll look into that.

        Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/
      • Derek Adair
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
          None of them did. If you are able to do that, that would be great.

          Regards,
          Derek Adair

          At 08:13 PM 6/2/02, you wrote:
          >Derek Adair wrote:
          >>
          >> Gang,
          >>
          >> I've filled in the attendance data for all the teams, except for the FL.
          >> TB7 was my source. STP of the UA (1884) is listed as 0, so that's
          >> what I put, but not sure what's up with that. That might better be
          >> handed with a null.
          >>
          >> I've also made corrections to attendance data and compared the
          >> totals for each year with TB7's data. All match up through 2000.
          >>
          >> If anyone else independently verifies, please note there are
          >> *numerous* typos in the totalling of the data in TB7 (most are
          >> in the ML totals, but there are some in the AL and NL totals as
          >> well). I'd estimate the number of addition errors at 50 or so.
          >>
          >> Also, the 1998-2000 attendance figures were completely different.
          >> I did searches on the web and found references to the TB7 data
          >> on numerous pages (forbes.com, for example), but very few to
          >> the Lahman DB data other than baseball-reference.com, so I went
          >> with the TB7 numbers. If there's a compelling reason to change
          >> back, let me know, and I'll switch those back in the file.
          >>
          >> The file will be posted in the groups files section.
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Derek Adair
          >> dadair@...
          >
          >Thanks Derek. Did any of those sources list home dates. Meaning they
          >combined double-headers into a single date and separated Day-night
          >doubleheaders. I think I can probably do that with the retrosheet game
          >log data as well (at least back to 1901). I'll look into that.
          >

          >Sincerely,
          >Sean Forman
        • kjokbaseball
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
            St. Paul of the UA played 9 games on the road, and then folded, so
            they had no home games and therefore no home attendance.

            KJOK