Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Houston teamID

  • Chris Lambrou
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
      >Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
      >Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
      >Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

      Sorry
      but I'd say Y to each of these and any location change that warranted a change to the official team name.

      Let's say my Cubbies move to Rosemont, IL.  The team may opt to keep the Chicago location name (wonder what MLB rules govern this).
      Either way, if they keep Chicago then there hasn't been a change to the team just the location of home games.
      If they somehow, God forbid, become the "Rosemont Cubs" - a change has occurred and the teamID should reflect it and the franchID should also be updated.

      I wonder if one day we will ever see pro-teams ditch the municipality naming tie-in.   Let's say "Midwest Brewers" or "Northeast Red Sox".  Most likely if there was ever a change it would have a corporate tie-in like "Charmin White Sox" or "Coca-cola Yankees".
      Wow that would suck.

      -Chris