Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Houston teamID

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
      > I would think the only time a teamID should ever change would be when
      > there is change to the actual team name (location and/or nickname).

      Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
      Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
      Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

      In my view, it would not only be a change of location, but a location
      outside of the "metro area". Mets, Yankees, etc... they changed
      "locations". If that's too semantical, then: the Jets go from NY to NJ, I
      still wouldn't change the Jets' teamID, or Nets going from NJ to Brooklyn,
      or Islanders moving to Brooklyn. NY/NJ is all part of the same metro
      area.

      Brooklyn to LA, then yes, change in teamID. We have the franchID to
      establish continuity for Dodgers, if needed.

      Change in levels/leagues/conferences/divisions? There's about twenty
      other things that are better considerations for changing a teamID than
      that, and eighteen of those are crappy reasons.

      Tom
    • Sean Lahman
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
        I agree with Tom on this one.  The TeamID should never change.  We can capture all other information in the Teams or Franchise tables (although in practice, many people simply don't use these tables).

        Regards,
        Sean

        ---
        Sean Lahman
        http://seanlahman.com

        On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:

        > I would think the only time a teamID should ever change would be when
        > there is change to the actual team name (location and/or nickname).

        Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
        Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
        Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

        In my view, it would not only be a change of location, but a location
        outside of the "metro area". Mets, Yankees, etc... they changed
        "locations". If that's too semantical, then: the Jets go from NY to NJ, I
        still wouldn't change the Jets' teamID, or Nets going from NJ to Brooklyn,
        or Islanders moving to Brooklyn. NY/NJ is all part of the same metro
        area.

        Brooklyn to LA, then yes, change in teamID. We have the franchID to
        establish continuity for Dodgers, if needed.

        Change in levels/leagues/conferences/divisions? There's about twenty
        other things that are better considerations for changing a teamID than
        that, and eighteen of those are crappy reasons.

        Tom

      • Chris Lambrou
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
          >Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
          >Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
          >Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

          Sorry
          but I'd say Y to each of these and any location change that warranted a change to the official team name.

          Let's say my Cubbies move to Rosemont, IL.  The team may opt to keep the Chicago location name (wonder what MLB rules govern this).
          Either way, if they keep Chicago then there hasn't been a change to the team just the location of home games.
          If they somehow, God forbid, become the "Rosemont Cubs" - a change has occurred and the teamID should reflect it and the franchID should also be updated.

          I wonder if one day we will ever see pro-teams ditch the municipality naming tie-in.   Let's say "Midwest Brewers" or "Northeast Red Sox".  Most likely if there was ever a change it would have a corporate tie-in like "Charmin White Sox" or "Coca-cola Yankees".
          Wow that would suck.

          -Chris