Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Houston teamID

  • Michael Westbay
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2013
      Handling name changes (or conference changes) in a database is tricky.  One still wants the older name (or conference) to come up when querying past seasons.

      I deal with this by using and XML database that has a default name when querying without a date and aliases with a date range for querying with a specified date.

      The same goes with players.  One doesn't want to change a player's ID when his name changes.  But one may want to extract a different name depending on the season.

      The biggest issue is with dealing with all the applications that access the database.  If every web application out there that uses the Baseball Databank is reliant on a single league field for a given team, then changing every one of those web applications to properly place a person -> team -> league join for past seasons is going to be a mammoth undertaking.

      --
      Michael Westbay
      Writer/System Administrator
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2013
        I agree about using the year (or date) to extract time-based data.
        Sometimes you want Fausto Carmona to show, and sometimes you want Roberto
        Hernandez to show, and sometimes you want both. But at all times, it's on
        carmofa01's page.

        To change Houston Astros' ID from 2013-onwards, because their main
        competition has changed, even if the majority of their own players have
        not, and they are still playing in the same city and the same park.... uh,
        no. Even if they were relegated to AAA, I wouldn't change it, and I'm
        sure I wouldn't change it in the soccer leagues either. Imagine a team
        relegated/promoted having to change their names each time?

        Tom

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2013
          I agree.  I wouldn't want to change it either.

          This is just a potential use case where it might be considered.

          2013/4/3 Tangotiger <tom@...>

          I agree about using the year (or date) to extract time-based data.
          Sometimes you want Fausto Carmona to show, and sometimes you want Roberto
          Hernandez to show, and sometimes you want both. But at all times, it's on
          carmofa01's page.

          To change Houston Astros' ID from 2013-onwards, because their main
          competition has changed, even if the majority of their own players have
          not, and they are still playing in the same city and the same park.... uh,
          no. Even if they were relegated to AAA, I wouldn't change it, and I'm
          sure I wouldn't change it in the soccer leagues either. Imagine a team
          relegated/promoted having to change their names each time?

          Tom

          > Handling name changes (or conference changes) in a database is tricky.
          > One
          > still wants the older name (or conference) to come up when querying past
          > seasons.
          >
          > I deal with this by using and XML database that has a default name when
          > querying without a date and aliases with a date range for querying with a
          > specified date.
          >
          > The same goes with players. One doesn't want to change a player's ID when
          > his name changes. But one may want to extract a different name depending
          > on the season.
          >
          > The biggest issue is with dealing with all the applications that access
          > the
          > database. If every web application out there that uses the Baseball
          > Databank is reliant on a single league field for a given team, then
          > changing every one of those web applications to properly place a person ->
          > team -> league join for past seasons is going to be a mammoth undertaking.
          >
          > --
          > Michael Westbay
          > Writer/System Administrator
          > http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

          Michael Westbay
          Writer/System Administrator
          http://www.japanesebaseball.com/
        • Chris Lambrou
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2013

            I would think the only time a teamID should ever change would be when there is change to the actual team name (location and/or nickname).
            Although one could argue that there is a team name field right there in every team record.

            In my mind a change of stadium, division, league nor a change of ownership would suffice a teamID change.

            It looks like the DB is setup like this now and it also triggers a franchiseID change along with it.

            2013/4/3 Tangotiger <tom@...>

            I agree about using the year (or date) to extract time-based data.
            Sometimes you want Fausto Carmona to show, and sometimes you want Roberto
            Hernandez to show, and sometimes you want both. But at all times, it's on
            carmofa01's page.

            To change Houston Astros' ID from 2013-onwards, because their main
            competition has changed, even if the majority of their own players have
            not, and they are still playing in the same city and the same park.... uh,
            no. Even if they were relegated to AAA, I wouldn't change it, and I'm
            sure I wouldn't change it in the soccer leagues either. Imagine a team
            relegated/promoted having to change their names each time?

            Tom

            > Handling name changes (or conference changes) in a database is tricky.
            > One
            > still wants the older name (or conference) to come up when querying past
            > seasons.
            >
            > I deal with this by using and XML database that has a default name when
            > querying without a date and aliases with a date range for querying with a
            > specified date.
            >
            > The same goes with players. One doesn't want to change a player's ID when
            > his name changes. But one may want to extract a different name depending
            > on the season.
            >
            > The biggest issue is with dealing with all the applications that access
            > the
            > database. If every web application out there that uses the Baseball
            > Databank is reliant on a single league field for a given team, then
            > changing every one of those web applications to properly place a person ->
            > team -> league join for past seasons is going to be a mammoth undertaking.
            >
            > --
            > Michael Westbay
            > Writer/System Administrator
            > http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

            Michael Westbay
            Writer/System Administrator
            http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

          • robert bluestein
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2013
              i agree, michael is right. No to the change.

              2013/4/3 Tangotiger <tom@...>

              I agree about using the year (or date) to extract time-based data.
              Sometimes you want Fausto Carmona to show, and sometimes you want Roberto
              Hernandez to show, and sometimes you want both. But at all times, it's on
              carmofa01's page.

              To change Houston Astros' ID from 2013-onwards, because their main
              competition has changed, even if the majority of their own players have
              not, and they are still playing in the same city and the same park.... uh,
              no. Even if they were relegated to AAA, I wouldn't change it, and I'm
              sure I wouldn't change it in the soccer leagues either. Imagine a team
              relegated/promoted having to change their names each time?

              Tom

              > Handling name changes (or conference changes) in a database is tricky.
              > One
              > still wants the older name (or conference) to come up when querying past
              > seasons.
              >
              > I deal with this by using and XML database that has a default name when
              > querying without a date and aliases with a date range for querying with a
              > specified date.
              >
              > The same goes with players. One doesn't want to change a player's ID when
              > his name changes. But one may want to extract a different name depending
              > on the season.
              >
              > The biggest issue is with dealing with all the applications that access
              > the
              > database. If every web application out there that uses the Baseball
              > Databank is reliant on a single league field for a given team, then
              > changing every one of those web applications to properly place a person ->
              > team -> league join for past seasons is going to be a mammoth undertaking.
              >
              > --
              > Michael Westbay
              > Writer/System Administrator
              > http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

              Michael Westbay
              Writer/System Administrator
              http://www.japanesebaseball.com/
            • Clay Dreslough
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
                This. :)

                Clay

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
                  > I would think the only time a teamID should ever change would be when
                  > there is change to the actual team name (location and/or nickname).

                  Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
                  Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
                  Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

                  In my view, it would not only be a change of location, but a location
                  outside of the "metro area". Mets, Yankees, etc... they changed
                  "locations". If that's too semantical, then: the Jets go from NY to NJ, I
                  still wouldn't change the Jets' teamID, or Nets going from NJ to Brooklyn,
                  or Islanders moving to Brooklyn. NY/NJ is all part of the same metro
                  area.

                  Brooklyn to LA, then yes, change in teamID. We have the franchID to
                  establish continuity for Dodgers, if needed.

                  Change in levels/leagues/conferences/divisions? There's about twenty
                  other things that are better considerations for changing a teamID than
                  that, and eighteen of those are crappy reasons.

                  Tom
                • Sean Lahman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
                    I agree with Tom on this one.  The TeamID should never change.  We can capture all other information in the Teams or Franchise tables (although in practice, many people simply don't use these tables).

                    Regards,
                    Sean

                    ---
                    Sean Lahman
                    http://seanlahman.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2013
                      >Are you suggesting that when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays became the Tampa Bay
                      >Rays, that you would change their teamID? Mighty Ducks to Ducks? Anaheim
                      >Angels to LA Angels (of Anaheim)?

                      Sorry
                      but I'd say Y to each of these and any location change that warranted a change to the official team name.

                      Let's say my Cubbies move to Rosemont, IL.  The team may opt to keep the Chicago location name (wonder what MLB rules govern this).
                      Either way, if they keep Chicago then there hasn't been a change to the team just the location of home games.
                      If they somehow, God forbid, become the "Rosemont Cubs" - a change has occurred and the teamID should reflect it and the franchID should also be updated.

                      I wonder if one day we will ever see pro-teams ditch the municipality naming tie-in.   Let's say "Midwest Brewers" or "Northeast Red Sox".  Most likely if there was ever a change it would have a corporate tie-in like "Charmin White Sox" or "Coca-cola Yankees".
                      Wow that would suck.

                      -Chris