27 players in a game?

  • Micke Hovmöller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2013
      I have been looking at importing the data from MLB's XML files, both as they contain pitch-by-pitch data, and as one way of doing consistency checks for the Lahman DB. However, there are a few things in those files (or in the rules) that I don't understand.

      For example, the players.xml files frequently (in about 5%-10% of cases, excluding September games) have something other than 25 players listed. Example:
      where the Red Sox have 27 players. Even stranger is this case, with 81 players listed for both teams:

      What is going on here?

      /Micke
    • Clem Comly
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2013
        I looked at 5/13/12 XML.  It looks like the players file has the entire rosters not just the players on the 25-man roster or who played in the game.  Look at the status values.  You can see D60 and D15 and RM which I suspect are players on the 60-day DL, 15-day DL, and in the minors respectively.

        I would guess this game didn’t go through some process all the other games did that strips out disabled players, etc.

        Clem Comly