2012 Database available

  • Sean Lahman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
      Friends,

      I posted the update yesterday, available at the link below. I added the 2013 HOF voting results (as exciting as they were) and some new additions to the awards tables. (I added all of the TSN awards and the Baseball Magazine all-star teams).

      Thanks to Kevin Johnson for his help with the awards data, and to Hans Van Slooten for building the SQL version of the database.  And to all of you who helped hit the beta version hard to find bugs. And special thanks to Ted Turocy for bringing the considerable weight of his Chadwick Bureau to bear on the task of maintaining this database.

      Also, for folks whose interests extend beyond baseball, there's a sneak preview of some open source databases for other sports...

      --Sean

      ---
      Sean Lahman
      http://seanlahman.com
    • James Gentile
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hey everyone,

        Someone brought it to my attention at BTB that the 'appearances' table seems to be off in the 2012 release. For example, Cal Ripken is listed as having 6 games at SS and 158 at LF in 1996 and Palmeiro as having 159 games at 2B. It seems the columns are off by one, so to speak.

        https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_ro9wJRzEASeUp6LS1rdWl1RVk/edit

        Thanks again for all you do,

        -JDG

        --
        Uh, what?
      • chrislambrou
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
          I also noticed that the 2012 trades are not accounted for in the appearances table. For instance Ryan Dempster (dempsry01) only shows for the Cubs and not for Texas. In the pitching table - Dempster's data is fine.

          Has anyone uploaded a fixed version of the appearances table? I still have a beta copy.
          Thanks.
          -Chris

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, James Gentile wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > Someone brought it to my attention at BTB that the 'appearances' table
          > seems to be off in the 2012 release. For example, Cal Ripken is listed as
          > having 6 games at SS and 158 at LF in 1996 and Palmeiro as having 159 games
          > at 2B. It seems the columns are off by one, so to speak.
          >
          > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_ro9wJRzEASeUp6LS1rdWl1RVk/edit
          >
          > Thanks again for all you do,
          >
          > -JDG
          >
          > On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Sean Lahman wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Friends,
          > >
          > > I posted the update yesterday, available at the link below. I added the
          > > 2013 HOF voting results (as exciting as they were) and some new additions
          > > to the awards tables. (I added all of the TSN awards and the Baseball
          > > Magazine all-star teams).
          > >
          > > Thanks to Kevin Johnson for his help with the awards data, and to Hans Van
          > > Slooten for building the SQL version of the database. And to all of you
          > > who helped hit the beta version hard to find bugs. And special thanks to
          > > Ted Turocy for bringing the considerable weight of his Chadwick Bureau to
          > > bear on the task of maintaining this database.
          > >
          > > Also, for folks whose interests extend beyond baseball, there's a sneak
          > > preview of some open source databases for other sports...
          > >
          > > http://www.seanlahman.com/2013/01/2012-baseball-database-available/
          > >
          > > --Sean
          > >
          > > ---
          > > Sean Lahman
          > > http://seanlahman.com
          > >

          > --
          > Uh, what?

        • dsreyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
            In AwardsPlayers, this line is wrong:

            cabremi01,Triple Crown,2012,NL,,

            The league should be AL, not NL.

            Doug

            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Lahman <seanlahman@...> wrote:

            > Friends,
            >
            > I posted the update yesterday, available at the link below. I added the
            > 2013 HOF voting results (as exciting as they were) and some new additions
            > to the awards tables. (I added all of the TSN awards and the Baseball
            > Magazine all-star teams).
            >
            > Thanks to Kevin Johnson for his help with the awards data, and to Hans Van
            > Slooten for building the SQL version of the database. And to all of you
            > who helped hit the beta version hard to find bugs. And special thanks to
            > Ted Turocy for bringing the considerable weight of his Chadwick Bureau to
            > bear on the task of maintaining this database.
            >
            > Also, for folks whose interests extend beyond baseball, there's a sneak
            > preview of some open source databases for other sports...
            >
            > http://www.seanlahman.com/2013/01/2012-baseball-database-available/
            >
            > --Sean
            >
            > ---
            > Sean Lahman
            > http://seanlahman.com

          • mirv
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
              I notice that there is no attendance data for 2010 in the Teams table. This has been the case ever since stats were released after the 2010 season. (Does anyone know where to get the correct data?)

              And a minor problem: there are two players in the Master table with the same playerID "baezda01". The second one should be "baezjo01"

              459,baezda01,,,1977,9,10,Cuba,,Pinar Del Rio,,,,,,,Danys,Baez,,Denis (Gonzalez),,225,75,R,R,5/13/2001,,,baezda01,baezda01,baezd001,baezda01,baezda01

              460,baezda01,,,1953,12,31,D.R.,,San Cristobal,,,,,,,Jose,Baez,born Jose Antonio Mota (Baez),Jose Antonio,,160,68,R,R,4/6/1977,6/6/1978,,baezjo01,baezjo01,baezj101,baezjo01,baezjo01

              Is this in fact the right place to report such errors?

              Thanks

              Mark

              --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:

              > In AwardsPlayers, this line is wrong:
              >
              > cabremi01,Triple Crown,2012,NL,,
              >
              > The league should be AL, not NL.
              >
              > Doug
              >
              > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Lahman <seanlahman@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Friends,
              > >
              > > I posted the update yesterday, available at the link below. I added the
              > > 2013 HOF voting results (as exciting as they were) and some new additions
              > > to the awards tables. (I added all of the TSN awards and the Baseball
              > > Magazine all-star teams).
              > >
              > > Thanks to Kevin Johnson for his help with the awards data, and to Hans Van
              > > Slooten for building the SQL version of the database. And to all of you
              > > who helped hit the beta version hard to find bugs. And special thanks to
              > > Ted Turocy for bringing the considerable weight of his Chadwick Bureau to
              > > bear on the task of maintaining this database.
              > >
              > > Also, for folks whose interests extend beyond baseball, there's a sneak
              > > preview of some open source databases for other sports...
              > >
              > > http://www.seanlahman.com/2013/01/2012-baseball-database-available/
              > >
              > > --Sean
              > >
              > > ---
              > > Sean Lahman
              > > http://seanlahman.com

            • John Rickert
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
                I needed to add the correct data for my statistics class, so here's a copy of the relevant lines -

                2010,AL,BAL,1733019
                2010,AL,BOS,3046445
                2010,AL,CHA,2194378
                2010,AL,CLE,1391644
                2010,AL,DET,2461237
                2010,AL,KCA,1615327
                2010,AL,LAA,3250814
                2010,AL,MIN,3223640
                2010,AL,NYA,3765807
                2010,AL,OAK,1418391
                2010,AL,SEA,2085630
                2010,AL,TBA,1864999
                2010,AL,TEX,2505171
                2010,AL,TOR,1495482
                2010,NL,ARI,2056697
                2010,NL,ATL,2510119
                2010,NL,CHN,3062973
                2010,NL,CIN,2060550
                2010,NL,COL,2875245
                2010,NL,FLO,1524894
                2010,NL,HOU,2331490
                2010,NL,LAN,3562320
                2010,NL,MIL,2776531
                2010,NL,NYN,2559738
                2010,NL,PHI,3777322
                2010,NL,PIT,1613399
                2010,NL,SDN,2131774
                2010,NL,SFN,3037443
                2010,NL,SLN,3301218
                2010,NL,WAS,1828066

                On Apr 28, 2013, at 5:52 PM, mirv wrote:

                I notice that there is no attendance data for 2010 in the Teams table. This has been the case ever since stats were released after the 2010 season. (Does anyone know where to get the correct data?)

                And a minor problem: there are two players in the Master table with the same playerID "baezda01". The second one should be "baezjo01"

                459,baezda01,,,1977,9,10,Cuba,,Pinar Del Rio,,,,,,,Danys,Baez,,Denis (Gonzalez),,225,75,R,R,5/13/2001,,,baezda01,baezda01,baezd001,baezda01,baezda01

                460,baezda01,,,1953,12,31,D.R.,,San Cristobal,,,,,,,Jose,Baez,born Jose Antonio Mota (Baez),Jose Antonio,,160,68,R,R,4/6/1977,6/6/1978,,baezjo01,baezjo01,baezj101,baezjo01,baezjo01

                Is this in fact the right place to report such errors?

                Thanks

                Mark

                --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:

                > In AwardsPlayers, this line is wrong:
                >
                > cabremi01,Triple Crown,2012,NL,,
                >
                > The league should be AL, not NL.
                >
                > Doug
                >
                > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Lahman <seanlahman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Friends,
                > >
                > > I posted the update yesterday, available at the link below. I added the
                > > 2013 HOF voting results (as exciting as they were) and some new additions
                > > to the awards tables. (I added all of the TSN awards and the Baseball
                > > Magazine all-star teams).
                > >
                > > Thanks to Kevin Johnson for his help with the awards data, and to Hans Van
                > > Slooten for building the SQL version of the database. And to all of you
                > > who helped hit the beta version hard to find bugs. And special thanks to
                > > Ted Turocy for bringing the considerable weight of his Chadwick Bureau to
                > > bear on the task of maintaining this database.
                > >
                > > Also, for folks whose interests extend beyond baseball, there's a sneak
                > > preview of some open source databases for other sports...
                > >
                > > http://www.seanlahman.com/2013/01/2012-baseball-database-available/
                > >
                > > --Sean
                > >
                > > ---
                > > Sean Lahman
                > > http://seanlahman.com

              • Clay Dreslough
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
                • 1 Attachment
                • 518 KB
                On 4/28/2013 5:52 PM, mirv wrote:
                > I notice that there is no attendance data for 2010 in the Teams table.
                > This has been the case ever since stats were released after the 2010
                > season. (Does anyone know where to get the correct data?)

                Attached is a CSV version of the Teams file, including 2010 attendance data.

                Clay
              • Chris Lambrou
                Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                  While we are on the subject - has anyone attempted to research attendance records from 1871-1915?

                  -Chris