Re: [baseball-databank] TSN Awards / HOF class of 2013

  • Tim Collins
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
      I would think it would be easier from a design/maintenance perspective to have one table with a column designating the split.  It's really (IMO) the same concept-- you're taking a subset of his performance and totaling it.

      That way, if you want to add/subtract a stat, or add a category, you're doing it in one place rather than 10.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
        I guess at least three tables: SPLIT_BATTING, SPLIT_PITCHING, SPLIT_FIELDING.

        Tom
      • Chris Lambrou
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013

          I'd vote for one large splits table as long as the corresponding field is the next column : )

          -Chris

          Thanks for pulling the TSN awards together, Kevin.  I'll add them to the next release, which I'll post after the HOF results are announced this afternoon.  While preparing for that, I realized that I never added the 2012 HOF voting results, so that will be in there, too.

          Once this is out of the way, I'll start tackling the creation of the supplementary tables -- primarily with splits from retrosheet.  We've had some good discussion about what splits should be created, but none about design.  Should we have one large table with all of the splits, or separate ones for each category (left/right, home/road, etc.)?  What do you folks think?

          --Sean

          ---
          Sean Lahman
          http://seanlahman.com

        • Sean Lahman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
            Neil, thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll look into it.  I know that the SchoolsPlayers table has not been updated for a similar stretch of time.

            --Sean

            ---
            Sean Lahman
            http://seanlahman.com

            On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Neil Walls <nwalls2000@...> wrote:
            Sean - thanks so much for the work on this.

            In regards to the HOF, I noticed the finalGame field in the Master hasn't been updated for the last few years for retired players. Is there a way to get this updated for the next release?

            Neil