Re: [baseball-databank] TSN Awards / HOF class of 2013

  • Tim Collins
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
      I would think it would be easier from a design/maintenance perspective to have one table with a column designating the split.  It's really (IMO) the same concept-- you're taking a subset of his performance and totaling it.

      That way, if you want to add/subtract a stat, or add a category, you're doing it in one place rather than 10.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
        I think Ted might have mentioned it, but I'd go with adding identifier
        fields, and have one table called SPLITS, with these two key fields (plus
        all the other standard key fields, player_id, year_id, team_id, and the
        standard fields, like pa, etc):

        SPLIT_ID,SPLIT_CD

        So:

        SPLIT_ID,SPLIT_CD
        all,all

        runners,bases empty
        runners,runner(s) on

        location,home
        location,away

        entrance,start
        entrance,substitution

        opphand,rhp
        opphand,lhp

        bathand,lhh
        bathand,rhh

        batopphand,lhh v lhp
        batopphand,lhh v rhp
        batopphand,rhh v lhp
        batopphand,lhh v rhp

        park,BOS
        park,BAL
        park,...

        inning,1
        inning,2
        inning,...
        inning,10+

        score,-5 or worse
        score,-4
        score...
        score,0
        score...
        score,5 or more

        And you just keep extending with whatever splits you want to create, like
        fielding position, batting lineup slot, etc.

        Naturally, that's going to be one biga$$ table. If that's too much, give
        each split its own table, and then the users can merge them easily enough
        like so:

        select * from SPLIT_RUNNERS
        union all
        select * from SPLIT_LOCATION
        union all

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
          I guess at least three tables: SPLIT_BATTING, SPLIT_PITCHING, SPLIT_FIELDING.

          Tom
        • Chris Lambrou
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013

            I'd vote for one large splits table as long as the corresponding field is the next column : )

            -Chris

            Thanks for pulling the TSN awards together, Kevin.  I'll add them to the next release, which I'll post after the HOF results are announced this afternoon.  While preparing for that, I realized that I never added the 2012 HOF voting results, so that will be in there, too.

            Once this is out of the way, I'll start tackling the creation of the supplementary tables -- primarily with splits from retrosheet.  We've had some good discussion about what splits should be created, but none about design.  Should we have one large table with all of the splits, or separate ones for each category (left/right, home/road, etc.)?  What do you folks think?

            --Sean

            ---
            Sean Lahman
            http://seanlahman.com

          • Sean Lahman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
              Neil, thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll look into it.  I know that the SchoolsPlayers table has not been updated for a similar stretch of time.

              --Sean

              ---
              Sean Lahman
              http://seanlahman.com

              On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Neil Walls <nwalls2000@...> wrote:
              Sean - thanks so much for the work on this.

              In regards to the HOF, I noticed the finalGame field in the Master hasn't been updated for the last few years for retired players. Is there a way to get this updated for the next release?

              Neil