git repository and issue tracker

  • Theodore Turocy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      Group,

      Starting in 2013, Chadwick Baseball Bureau will be helping Sean out providing some logistical support for maintaining the databank.

      I have set up a git repository to do proper versioning of the data. You can find it at:

      https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank

      Specifically, all the revisions from yesterday's release are being tracked for the moment in the '2012update' branch:

      https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank/tree/2012update

      There's an issue tracker associated with it:

      https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank/issues

      This is a good place to report bugs you find. Also, being a proper version control system, it is straightforward to fork the repository, fix the bugs yourself, and ship a pull request back upstream. :)

      Ted
      --
      Dr Theodore L Turocy
      Chadwick Baseball Bureau
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        > Group,
        >
        > Starting in 2013, Chadwick Baseball Bureau will be helping Sean out
        > providing some logistical support for maintaining the databank.

        Having Lahman continue to be the lead, and now having Ted providing
        support on some specific items is wonderful news.

        Hopefully, this will spur others to provide dedicated support. I think
        what was lacking in the past is some solid base and some fresh blood.
        Sean+Ted can provide that solid base, so any prospective providers should
        feel confident that their own efforts can be leveraged.

        Tom
      • Geoff Buchan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
          Thanks for making this available via github!

          I do have a question which I've also submitted as an issue, but may be relevant to people looking at the data for the first time.

          I see there are 3 branches currently:
          master
          2012update
          lahman_alpha

          2012 update is apparently 6 revisions ahead of master, and lahman_alpha is 1 revision ahead. In particular, I noticed Bryce Harper did not exist in the Master.csv file or in Batting.csv of master, but he does appear in the other two branches in both places. So I'm assuming that the current master does not yet have 2012 updates applied.

          Once again, thanks for helping make this resource readily available and keeping it going!

          Regards,

          Geoff
        • Theodore Turocy
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
            All,

            The 2013 release has not yet been integrated into github, as I need to sit down and canonicalise the tables so that they'll be git-friendly.

            I do not have a particular timeline for when that'll happen, other than "as soon as I can."

            TLT
            --
            Dr Theodore L Turocy
            Chadwick Baseball Bureau