The 2012 Update

  • aidanshealy
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
      Is there a group that is working on this? Does anyone need help with anything? Scrubbing through data or anything like that?

      I am definitely interested in helping if help is needed.

      Thanks for the effort,
      Cork
    • anson2995
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
        No assistance need at this point, but thanks for the offer. I'll post details on a 2012 update soon.

        Would like to restart efforts to work on some other projects, such as integrating some of the loose tables and cleaning up others. I'm open to discussion of what those projects might be.

      • Paul Reeths
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
          If there is anything I can do to help in the area of integrating some of the loose tables or cleaning any of them up, please let me know.

          Paul Reeths
          OurSports Central

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
            One project we've discussed on and off over the years was some type of basic splits table for batters and pitchers.

            Would probably just include bat-hand and Home/Away splits (4 records) for each current batting or pitching stint.

            Given Retrosheet's progress seems like a good idea to me.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
              Split table may create confusion.  As one does 20th century seasons
              splits don’t add exactly up to official totals.

              Also if we do true stints as opposed to each unique team-year combination
              for each player, that may involve a lot of work for those players with 2 stints
              in same season for same team.   Retrosheet’s site does not subdivide splits
              by stint, just by team.

              Clem Comly

              One project we've discussed on and off over the years was some type of basic splits table for batters and pitchers.

              Would probably just include bat-hand and Home/Away splits (4 records) for each current batting or pitching stint.

              Given Retrosheet's progress seems like a good idea to me.

            • railsplitter_44
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                I have a spreadsheet of L/R splits for pitchers and hitters for the pbp years (1945-2012), if you are looking for the data.

                If you are looking for pre-pbp (1915-1944) splits, I generated the batter's splits based on the opposing team's pitchers stats and handedness. So they are not 100% accurate (we will never have this without pbp data), but they are more accurate than vs L/R handed starters.

                I could also provide Home/Road splits if it is needed.

                Dan Hirsch

                --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...> wrote:

                > One project we've discussed on and off over the years was some type of basic splits table for batters and pitchers.
                >
                > Would probably just include bat-hand and Home/Away splits (4 records) for each current batting or pitching stint.
                >
                > Given Retrosheet's progress seems like a good idea to me.
                >
                > THANKS,
                > Kevin
                >

                > >________________________________

              • James Gentile
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2012
                  The pre-pbp splits estimates would be fascinating to see, if you don't mind.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2012
                    I think those would be nice additions to the database.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
                      I think the idea is to create splits off the Retrosheet event files, no
                      different than what Baseball-Reference and Retrosheet.org does.

                      It's really fairly straightforward. Just need someone to just step up and
                      do it, and continue to do it every year.

                      Tom

                      > Split table may create confusion. As one does 20th century seasons
                      > splits don’t add exactly up to official totals.
                      >
                      > Also if we do true stints as opposed to each unique team-year combination
                      > for each player, that may involve a lot of work for those players with 2
                      > stints
                      > in same season for same team. Retrosheet’s site does not subdivide
                      > splits
                      > by stint, just by team.
                      >
                      > Clem Comly

                    • Paul Reeths
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
                        It seems as if there is some interest in the basic splits table. Are there any other loose tables or other data that others would like to see integrated, perhaps even a project that has been started but remains incomplete?

                        Paul Reeths
                        OurSports Central

                        ________________________________
                        One project we've discussed on and off over the years was some type of basic splits table for batters and pitchers.

                        Would probably just include bat-hand and Home/Away splits (4 records) for each current batting or pitching stint.

                        Given Retrosheet's progress seems like a good idea to me.

                        >If there is anything I can do to help in the area of integrating some of the loose tables or cleaning any of them up, please let me know.
                        >
                        >Paul Reeths
                        >OurSports Central

                      • aidanshealy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
                          Anyone have the 2012 debut players in the Master Player table? I run some data points off that Master table and was just wondering when/if just that table would be available.

                          Thanks for any help that anyone could provide.