Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Stints

    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 26, 2012
      There's an APPEARANCES table in the Lahman DB. I haven't verified it, but
      that might help you.

      Tom

      > Does anyone have a comment on the reply below?
      >
      > I'm always running into problems with appearances and have to use the
      > fielding table. Not the best table to JOIN with since almost every player
      > has multiple records per season.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Chris
      >
      > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:
      >>
      > The "batting" table's dual role has already caused problems in the past.
      > I think the official MLB position is that the "batting" table is the "all
      > appearances" table, so that any game gets recorded with a "batting"
      > record, even if he didn't bat. (I'm not exactly sure about this, but I'm
      > going on memory here, but it's consistent with players not batting still
      > having a batting record.)

    • Clay Dreslough
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2012
        Speaking of stints, is there a consensus on the abbreviation to use for
        the single-game wild card round when displaying player stats?

        For example, the current abbreviations are ALDS, NLDS, ALCS, NLCS and WS.

        Like this:

        http://bit.ly/HJ5beA

        I don't have the luxury of waiting until October. So, FWIW, we're using
        'ALWC' and 'NLWC' to label stat lines for the Wild Card Showdown.

        Clay
      • Clay Dreslough
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 6, 2012
          I don't fully understand what is being proposed, but I just wanted to
          take a moment to speak out in favor of backwards compatibility.

          For example, people bought "Puresim 4" ( a baseball simulation game by
          Shaun Sullivan). It loads data in the "Lahman" format. Even though the
          game was published in 2010, it can still load last year's database and
          this year's database. If the stint column goes away, many users will be
          unable to load next year's database.

          If it's too difficult to ensure that the stint data is correct, I'd
          rather see it 90% correct, but with documentation that (for example)
          stint data after 2010 may not be 100% accurate.

          Clay