Beta version of database available

  • anson2995
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
      Just posted a beta version of the updated baseball database. It's just the CSV version. Please let me know if you find any issues with it.

      http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman59-beta.zip
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
        Sean

        Thanks for all that.

        Here are the errors I got on importing. If you have changed the format,
        let me know, and I'll update my import script db, and I'll publish that.

        1. used to be txt files, and now csv files

        2. first record is header, instead of starting with details

        3. HOF table has "top 20" in the "needed" column, which was previously
        numeric. I suggest we add a new column that specifies whether the numeric
        value in NEEDED is a "top N" or "at least N votes". Or something like
        that. Alternatively, we turn this into a char field.

        4. MASTER has issue with debut and finalgame fields. You are showing a
        timestamp as well as a datestamp. I suggest you re-export without the
        timestamp portion.

        5. PitchingPost has "inf" in two records. Best to let it export as a
        null, meaning:
        ,,

        6. Teams has issues with Attendance records for 2011. You have
        double-quotes and commas with the numbers. Should export as all-numeric.

        Thanks, Tom
      • Rod Nelson
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2011
          Sean - Numerous issues wrt IDs on Master.  My db is keyed on RetroID, but I can x-ref to bbrefid, so I'm trying to sort it out and will get back w/you..  but believe it or, I've worn out my mouse

          On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
             baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Rod Nelson, Managing Editor
          The Emerald Guide to Baseball 2011

          Download it Free!
          http://www.sabr.org
          Buy it in Hardcopy  http://www.lulu.com/sabr
        • mirv
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
            Since you have posted here, I was hoping that this would no longer be subject to the "no commercial use" restriction on the Baseball1.com site. Is that going to be the case? I need data that does not have this restriction in order to continue my iPhone app. The revenues for this app have been quite close to zero so I can't afford a commercial-grade license.

            Thanks,

            Mark

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
              Ah, I see this notice in the downloaded data:
              ---
              0.1 Copyright Notice & Limited Use License

              This database is copyright 1996-2011 by Sean Lahman.

              This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. For details see: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
              ---

              Guess that answers it!

              Thanks again,

              Mark

              --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "anson2995" <slahman@...> wrote:

              > Just posted a beta version of the updated baseball database. It's just the CSV version. Please let me know if you find any issues with it.
              >
              > http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman59-beta.zip

            • John Rickert
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2011
                One very minor typo:
                in the batting and pitching files
                (here is the pitching file lines:)
                nitkocj01,2003,1,TEX,AL,0,0,6,0,0,0,0,29,17,8,0,8,5,0.41,7.45,1,0,0,0,52,0,8,,,
                nitkocj01,2004,2,NYA,AL,1,1,19,0,0,0,0,39,18,11,1,6,10,0.32,7.62,0,2,4,0,65,4,11,,,
                nitkocj01,2004,3,ATL,NL,1,0,22,0,0,0,0,60,22,10,3,10,16,0.27,4.5,0,3,2,0,95,10,11,,,
                and
                C.J. Nikowski's 2004 stint with Atlanta was stint 1
                (from Retrosheet transactions) he signed with Atlanta Nov. 18, 2003.
                The line in the batting file should also be changed from
                nitkocj01,2004,3,ATL,NL,22,20,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,20
                nitkocj01,2004,1,ATL,NL,22,20,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,20

                john rickert

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
                  Juan Oviedo (Leo Nunez) is listed in the Masters file with his old information

                  17600,nunezle01,,,1983,8,14,D.R.,,Jamoa Norte,,,,,,,Leo,Nunez,,Leonel,,190,74,R,R,5/9/2005 0:00,,,,,nunel001,,nunezle01

                  I think that the information should be something like
                  17600,nunezle01,,,1982,3,15,D.R.,,Banao Norte,,,,,,,Juan,Oveida,"Through 2011 played under the name Leo Nunez",Juan,,190,74,R,R,5/9/2005 0:00,,,,,nunel001,,nunezle01
                  based on newspaper articles (e.g. http://www.webcitation.org/621nKjSBJ), Wikipedia and Baseball-Reference.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                    In the Fielding.csv file previous seasons have totals for games played at DH, but 2011 does not.

                    Should I also worry about... :
                       Some minor spelling errors in Readme59.txt

                       The files are .csv but commas are also used a separators inside some records in Master.csv, for example
                    1,aaronha01,,aaronha01h,1934,2,5,USA,AL,Mobile,,,,,,,Hank,Aaron,,Henry Louis,"Hammer,Hammerin' Hank,Bad Henry",180,72,R,R,4/13/1954 0:00,10/3/1976 0:00,,aaronha01,aaronha01,aaroh101,aaronha01,aaronha01
                    (Don't know if that's really an issue for anyone else)

                    On the debut and final dates, the time 0:00 is listed (I didn't see any other time stamps, but I did not do an exhaustive search)
                    Should the 0:00 be there?

                    ?

                    john rickert

                    On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:37 PM, anson2995 wrote:

                    Just posted a beta version of the updated baseball database. It's just the CSV version. Please let me know if you find any issues with it.

                    http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman59-beta.zip

                  • dianagramr
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 14, 2011
                      "Appearances" table seems to have some pitchers appearing in same number of games at C or 1B. Were new columns added?

                      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:

                      > Sean
                      >
                      > Thanks for all that.
                      >
                      > Here are the errors I got on importing. If you have changed the format,
                      > let me know, and I'll update my import script db, and I'll publish that.
                      >
                      > 1. used to be txt files, and now csv files
                      >
                      > 2. first record is header, instead of starting with details
                      >
                      > 3. HOF table has "top 20" in the "needed" column, which was previously
                      > numeric. I suggest we add a new column that specifies whether the numeric
                      > value in NEEDED is a "top N" or "at least N votes". Or something like
                      > that. Alternatively, we turn this into a char field.
                      >
                      > 4. MASTER has issue with debut and finalgame fields. You are showing a
                      > timestamp as well as a datestamp. I suggest you re-export without the
                      > timestamp portion.
                      >
                      > 5. PitchingPost has "inf" in two records. Best to let it export as a
                      > null, meaning:
                      > ,,
                      >
                      > 6. Teams has issues with Attendance records for 2011. You have
                      > double-quotes and commas with the numbers. Should export as all-numeric.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Tom

                    • timmermant
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
                        team file is still missing HBP and SF data pre-2000.

                        Thanks for your hard work,
                        Tom

                        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "anson2995" <slahman@...> wrote:

                        > Just posted a beta version of the updated baseball database. It's just the CSV version. Please let me know if you find any issues with it.
                        >
                        > http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman59-beta.zip

                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                          Any chance of including singles/doubles/triples against for pitchers in this release?

                          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "anson2995" <slahman@...> wrote:

                          > Just posted a beta version of the updated baseball database. It's just the CSV version. Please let me know if you find any issues with it.
                          >
                          > http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman59-beta.zip

                        • crimson14g
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
                            I posted an update of a lot of profile information on the master file for this version of the Lahman database. It includes changes to birth dates, death dates, full given names for players missing them, and any other changes provided by the SABR biographical research project from the past few years--back to 2007 when the data seems to split from the Lahman info.

                            Feel free to use it in the updated database. It's availabe in the files section of this group under the name: updatedplayerinfoMaster.csv

                            Please note that I've also changed some "use names" when I thought it appropriate (dropping middle initials because I've never seen them used except to distinguish them among statheads--for example, Mark L. Johnson is just now Mark Johnson.) Certain players who were known to use Jr. have that added to their last name (i.e. Ken Griffey Jr., Sandy Alomar Jr., Tim Raines Jr., etc.) Additionally, I changed one or two use names to something used by baseball-reference or in the SABR biographical research project. Feel free to change them back or whatever.
                          • Alberto Perdomo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 22, 2012
                              Hi, all:

                              For all rows for the 2011 season, Stint column is always 1 in Fielding table.   If Stint=1, then it's not possible to identify the correct team order for those players that were traded during the past season.   Think I fixed those records.  If you need my fixed table, please let me know.

                              Some example rows:

                              adamsmi03,2011,1,SDN,NL,P,48,0,144,1,3,0,0,,,,,
                              adamsmi03,2011,1,TEX,AL,P,27,0,77,3,2,0,0,,,,,

                              allenbr01,2011,1,ARI,NL,1B,10,9,255,77,5,0,9,,,,,
                              allenbr01,2011,1,OAK,AL,1B,41,40,1066,334,19,4,24,,,,,

                              billibr02,2011,1,COL,NL,P,1,0,6,1,1,0,1,,,,,
                              billibr02,2011,1,OAK,AL,P,3,0,15,0,0,0,0,,,,,

                              branyru01,2011,1,ARI,NL,1B,14,12,324,103,6,0,6,,,,,
                              branyru01,2011,1,LAA,AL,1B,11,6,153,47,4,1,11,,,,,

                              buentja01,2011,1,FLO,NL,P,1,1,9,0,0,0,0,,,,,
                              buentja01,2011,1,TBA,AL,P,1,0,6,1,1,0,0,,,,

                              cabreor01,2011,1,SFN,NL,2B,2,1,27,1,3,0,1,,,,,
                              cabreor01,2011,1,CLE,AL,3B,4,4,84,2,2,0,0,,,,,
                              cabreor01,2011,1,SFN,NL,3B,1,0,3,0,0,0,0,,,,,
                              cabreor01,2011,1,CLE,AL,SS,3,1,45,3,4,0,0,,,,,
                              cabreor01,2011,1,SFN,NL,SS,36,33,883,52,91,5,19,,,,,

                              ellisma01,2011,1,OAK,AL,1B,2,2,44,15,3,0,2,,,,,
                              ellisma01,2011,1,OAK,AL,2B,59,56,1504,127,189,2,50,,,,,
                              ellisma01,2011,1,COL,NL,2B,64,63,1660,123,194,1,42,,,,,

                              fukudko01,2011,1,CHN,NL,CF,1,1,18,1,1,0,0,,,,,
                              fukudko01,2011,1,CLE,AL,CF,12,11,295,28,0,1,0,,,,,
                              fukudko01,2011,1,CHN,NL,RF,82,71,1890,150,4,2,0,,,,,
                              fukudko01,2011,1,CLE,AL,RF,49,46,1293,115,2,1,2,,,,,

                              harrelu01,2011,1,CHA,AL,P,3,0,15,1,0,0,0,,,,,
                              harrelu01,2011,1,HOU,NL,P,6,2,39,1,4,1,0,,,,,

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 22, 2012
                                These records in the pitchingpost table have an "inf" value

                                schleda01,2011,ALCS,DET,AL,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,,0,0,inf,,,,,,,,,,,
                                ueharko01,2011,ALDS2,TEX,AL,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,2,3,,1,0,inf,,,,,,,,,,,

                                In the same table, row 4329 is wrong because belongs to Teixeira and this is a pitching table.

                                teixema01,2011,ALDS1,NYA,AL,3,2,5,18,0,0,0,3,2,5,,0.167,0.286,2,,,,,,,,,,,

                                On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Alberto Perdomo <aperdomo@...> wrote:
                                Hi, all:

                                The last of Master table is for Pat Gillick (ex-GM) who wasnt a baseball player.   Why this record is there?

                                19205,gillipa9901,,gillipa9901h,1937,8,22,USA,CA,Chico,,,,,,,Pat,Gillick,,Lawrence Patrick David,,,,,,,,,,,,,gillipa9901

                                Regards,

                                Alberto.

                                On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Alberto Perdomo <aperdomo@...> wrote:
[...]

                              • Clay Dreslough
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 23, 2012
                                  Alberto - I would love a copy of your fixed Fielding.csv table.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Clay

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 23, 2012
                                    Here's the line to add to BattingPost.csv for Teixeira:

                                    2011,ALDS1,teixema01,NYA,AL,5,18,2,3,2,0,1,1,0,0,2,5,,1,,,

                                    Then just delete his row from PitchingPost.csv.

                                    Clay

                                    On 1/22/2012 11:22 PM, Alberto Perdomo wrote:

                                    > In the same table, row 4329 is wrong because belongs to Teixeira and
                                    > this is a pitching table.
                                    >
                                    > teixema01,2011,ALDS1,NYA,AL,3,2,5,18,0,0,0,3,2,5,,0.167,0.286,2,,,,,,,,,,,

                                  • chrislambrou
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 17, 2012
                                      I didn't see a response on this... Will DH no longer be included in the fielding table? Thanks.

                                      -Chris