Baseball ID Working Group cross-reference table released

  • Theodore Turocy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2011
      Hello all,

      I apologise for this one-time cross-post.

      I am pleased to announce that the Baseball ID Working Group is now publishing a register of professional players, which is updated daily.  The Baseball ID Working Group is a consortium of data providers and analysts who are working together to publish a definitive register of basic identifying information on players, managers, and umpires throughout the history of professional baseball internationally, including a cross-reference table of major person identification systems.

      The current (provisional) download site for this is:

      http://balco.sabr.org/data/baseballid/

      Each day's release is dated in the filename; for convenience, the file baseballid-latest.zip always points to the most recent update.

      Updates should happen approximately every morning.  However, there is a manual approval process, so there may be an occasional day in which an update does not occur if I am not available to complete it.

      These data are available under a Creative Commons non-commercial license for the benefit of the community.

      There is a README.txt available which contains full details of what is present, and how to interpret/use it.  Importantly, it also contains the names of several key contributors who have been instrumental in helping get this together.

      As this is not directly baseball-databank business per se, please direct enquiries to me offlist at dataczar@....

      Ted