Red/Green Book Data

  • jdpeterman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2011
      Just wondering if the MLB Red Green books (specifically Major League Service Time) were available for download. I know they are not available any longer in book format, but did not know whether they were now available to folks outside the traditional media realm.

      Thanks

      JD
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2011
        > Just wondering if the MLB Red Green books (specifically Major League
        > Service Time) were available for download. I know they are not available
        > any longer in book format, but did not know whether they were now
        > available to folks outside the traditional media realm.

        Cot's contracts has it (on his site, B-R.com, and I think BPro).

        They did have online media guides in the past, but I'm not sure where they
        are for 2011. This one for example is the 2009 D'Backs, and service time
        is there:
        http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/ari/fan_forum/media_guide.jsp

        Tom
      • Tom Stillman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2011
          Funny you should ask this.  This is one of my gripes with MLB (and perhaps the overall MLB/SABR relationship) that I mentioned a few people in SABR.  As far as I can tell, the Red and Green books are only available to "working media."  Interestingly, MLB's definition of "working media" does not include their own Datacasters.  I was one of those last year and told I was not "working media."  Hmm.  I think the Datacasters (and STATS Inc guys) work harder than anyone else as they have to watch every single pitch.

          Anyway, the answer I know is that unless Julian Assange gets hold of them, the 2011 NL Green and AL Red books aren't available to the general public.

          Tom Stillman

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2011
            I've seen the info on Cot's, just would be a whole lot easier if I had the primary info from the books. Used to have them sent to me when they were actual books, but since then, haven't gotten them.