Re: [baseball-databank] Re: The Future

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2011
      I think people are talking about two different things here and probably with no real need.

      1) Can a group of BDB stalwarts (or non-stalwarts) or multiple independent groups take what has been released so far (which is inferior to the sabr/palmer dataset) and maintain and update new databases and allow people to use it for whatever purpose they see fit?

      The answer to that is yes on all accounts.  SABR can release whatever they want and non-sabr entities can release whatever they want.  There is no license posted for any of the data I produced, so it's out there in the wild for everyone to use.  It people want to produce the Tango-Lahman-Adair db or the Tango DB, the Lahman DB, and Adair DB, there is nothing stopping them.

      2) Can and should SABR release a database that in effect serves as a replacement for the BDB?
         And can they put a licensing agreement on it that allows unlimited personal use and limited commercial use?

      The answer to both of those is yes, they can do that, and they don't really need anybody here or anywhere else to be on board or give them permission.  They should just do it if they want to.  And like I said the BDB data is in the wild, so if they want something just take it and use it like anybody else would.

      So IMO, it's nice of FX and Ted to stop in and say, "We may have a solution for future releases, so don't be too worried." and is probably good marketing, but there is no need for them to co-opt or bring on board BDB listserv members or incorporate previous BDB work or ethos.

      SABR can have their discussion and this yahoo group (which is all it really is) can have its discussion, but at the end of the day whoever ships bits is going to have people using their data.  And everyone in this discussion is free to do whatever they want in terms of shipping bits.

      sean
      ---
      Sean Forman
      Sports Reference LLC, President
      http://www.sports-reference.com/

    • mwe55innc@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2011
        On Mar 31, 2011 8:57am, Sean Forman wrote:
        (snip)

        > SABR can have their discussion and this yahoo group (which is all it really is) can have its discussion, but at the end of the day whoever ships bits is going to have people using their data.  And everyone in this discussion is free to do whatever they want in terms of shipping bits.

        I don't normally do this, but...

        Well said.

        Mike Emeigh
        MWE55inNC@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2011
          > I'd rather see SABR do something with you
          > than
          > suddenly show up online one day saying "hey, guys, here's BDB+" without
          > any
          > prior attempt to bring you aboard.

          I'd actually be quite happy if SABR did do something and said exactly
          that, and then published it for the general public with a non-commercial
          license.

          Preceding that, SABR could just as well do the same thing with its bio
          data, its minor league data, and its HR data. Let SABR have the reins,
          and then publish for the general public with the constraint of a
          non-commercial license.

          As for providing a commercial license, SABR can solicit micropayments like
          here:
          http://www.donorschoose.org/fallon-colbert-project

          And once enough people contribute (whatever SABR decides... 1000$, 2000$,
          5000$), then a commercial license has been provided.