Re: BFP issues

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
      This is from Total Baseball - I believe it also applies to the Lahman database and, by likely therefore applies to BDB:

      BATTERS FACING PITCHER Unavailable before 1903 in the National
      League. The 1903 and 1908 data was not published and has been reconstructed.

      BFP was unavailable for the American League of 1901-1907. Excepting the NL of 1876-1888 and the AA of 1882 and 1884-1887, for which John Tattersall calculated BFP from box scores, earlier years in both leagues have had their BFP constructed from available data in this manner:

      subtract league base hits from league at-bats, divide by league innings pitched, multiply by the pitcher's innings, and add his hits allowed, walks, hit by pitch, and sacrifice hits, if available.

      THANKS,
      KJOK