Re: 2010 stats in Access database

  • anson2995
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010

      > Any idea when this will become availabe at www.baseball1.com?

      A few days, maybe. The site was hacked about a week ago, and the attack was particularly malicious. It's taken longer than expected to recover.

      --Sean Lahman
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2010
        Sean,
        That's awful. Why would someone do that? Its not like it had millions of email addresses or credit cards. Do you think it was someone doing it just to see if they could? Pretty cowardly.
        Best,
        Craig Tomarkin

        Sent from my iPad
      • anson2995
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Craig <CTOMARKIN@...> wrote:
          > That's awful. Why would someone do that? Its not like it had millions of email addresses or credit cards. Do you think it was someone doing it just to see if they could? Pretty cowardly.

          At first I thought it was an SQL-injection by a spammer looking to redirect traffic to a porn site. Turns out to have been more malicious and deliberate. But having to rebuild everything gave me an opportunity to clean things up - a mid-December spring cleaning.

          The Access database will be up later today, along with spreadsheets for folks who are so inclined.

        • ron
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            thanks for including spreadsheets, Sean .. there are many things that Access can do that Excel cannot without absurd work arounds .. regardless, for quick and dirty downloads of current season data and other data published on the web, i have found Excel to be quite handy

            one last question, are there any Access or Excel specific user groups for mining baseball data past and present? if so, i'd sure like to join one .. if not, let's start one

            regards,

            ron blake
            liberty, texas