Stuffy McInnis, July 5, 1920 (2nd game) missing run scored?

  • JLAC
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2010
      On July 5th, 1920 in the second game, both Retrosheet and BR.com list Stuffy McInnis with a line of 4 0 1 1 but hitting a home run. All the dailies I can find have that line as well. This doesn't seem to be right, but individual totals for that day balance.

      A few of us over at baseballthinkfactory.org noticed this (Danny Wind spotted it originally) and couldn't piece it together. It's not a pinch-runner play or anything like that.

      Just FYI.

      Craig Burley
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2010
        Craig,

        There are thousands of such discrepancies for all of those pre-1960's seasons.  Retrosheet is undertaking a means to categorize all such discrepancies, so we'll have a better handle on fixes that need to be made going forward.

        sean
        ---
        Sean Forman
        Sports Reference LLC, President
        http://www.sports-reference.com/

        On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:41 AM, JLAC <tybalt4@...> wrote:

        On July 5th, 1920 in the second game, both Retrosheet and BR.com list Stuffy McInnis with a line of 4 0 1 1 but hitting a home run. All the dailies I can find have that line as well. This doesn't seem to be right, but individual totals for that day balance.

        A few of us over at baseballthinkfactory.org noticed this (Danny Wind spotted it originally) and couldn't piece it together. It's not a pinch-runner play or anything like that.

        Just FYI.

        Craig Burley

      • tjruane
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21, 2010
          Craig,
          Thanks for pointing this out.

          It looks like there were three official errors in the runs scored column that day. McInnis should have been credited with one run scored (not zero), Eddie Foster with zero runs scored (not two), and Everett Scott with two runs scored (not one). Or at least that was the consensus of the Boston Globe and the wire service.

          By the way, I went and look for other instances where a batter had more homers than runs scored in a game. I found only one other case. That was also an official error, but one of a very different flavor. I'm speaking, of course, of Bengie Molina's HR without a run scored on 9-26-2008.

          Thanks again.
          Tom Ruane