Re: [baseball-databank] 2010 USA Today Salary Info

  • Maurice Tamman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
      there is some kind of id embedded in the link to the player details. A bit of web scraping and a couple of regular expressions would do the job relatively easily.

      having said that, I have no idea where those ids match anything but the usa today's database, which would be a useful as just the names.

      cheers,
      mo

      On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Maury Brown <maurybaseballcrazy@...> wrote:

      Follow-up...

      Anyone need help with this? I can get the salary data sucked into Excel with web queries, but matching to playerID is an unknown... otherwise, I'd do it for Databank.

      Anyone? Bueller?

      -- Maury

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2010
        Thanks, Kevin. Just wondering... I could be wrong, but if Baseball-DB uses the USA Today salary info it only tracks Opening Day figures (it is not updated throughout the season). It's why end-of-year figures from The AP are always of interest.

        So.... I can assist, unless this is too much work matching PlayerIDs.

        Thanks much,

        Maury Brown
        President
        Business of Sports Network
        Bizball LLC
        MLB Media Affiliate ID 17703
        (Office) 503-892-5722
        (Cell) 503-830-8644

        Sent from Maury's iPhone

        On Apr 24, 2010, at 2:37 PM, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...> wrote:

        Maury:

        While it would be nice to have the opening day info, for our purposes here, there will be guys called up throughout the 2010 season that we'll want 2010 salary info for, so it makes sense to wait until AFTER the 2010 season is over before doing all the work to match up IDs, etc...

        Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone who wants to go ahead and do this now.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2010
          I think it'd be great if you could do this for us. I'd love to take a look at them in a database format.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2010
            Maury:

            I think you're correct.  Originally, I believe the USA Today salary info (back to 1987?) came FROM baseball-db (actually via baseball-db from Doug Pappas).   In recent years, the baseball-db salary figures probably came from AP, although I'm not certain of that.

            Anyway, it's shouldn't be too much work for some of the programmers who hang around here except for brand new 2010 players, who will not officially have a baseball-db Id (although B-R will have an ID for them, which probably will become their baseball-db ID).

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
              Maury Brown wrote...
              > I could be wrong, but if Baseball-DB uses the USA Today
              > salary info it only tracks Opening Day figures (it is
              > not updated throughout the season).

              That's why we don't use the opening day figures, because they won't include hundreds of guys called up or signed during the next five months. If someone wanted to parse it out and assign ids, no reason why you couldn't share that file here. Folks would find it useful. But that's not going to be complete enough for inclusion in the offseason full update.

              kjokbaseball wrote...
              > I think you're correct. Originally, I believe the USA
              > Today salary info (back to 1987?) came FROM baseball-db
              > (actually via baseball-db from Doug Pappas). In recent
              > years, the baseball-db salary figures probably came
              > from AP, although I'm not certain of that.

              It's been so long that I can't recall whether Doug published the info before USA Today.(Sports Illustrated was one of the first -- they put them on the cover in 1987, IIRC.) But the original source for the opening day salaries has always been the MLB Players Association.

            • Maury Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2010
                I have worked up the data and passed it on to Rod Nelson to get player IDs.  Can't hurt to have a build with this data in it, can it?

                Thanks,

                Maury Brown
                President
                Business of Sports Network