Gameday question: pitches that end an at-bat?

  • Wells Oliver
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2010
      Is there a way to figure out which pitches end an atbat? The pitch type has values 'X', 'S', or 'B'- the 'X' indicates the ball was batted into play, but strikeouts/walks still will have a type of 'S' or 'B'.

      I suppose you can do a check against the count, but I was wondering if there was some field that just flagged it as an "atbat-ending" pitch.

      Thanks for any hacky tips you can share.

      --
      Wells Oliver
      wells@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2010
        I'm assuming you are using the inning by inning data?

        http://gd2.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2010/month_04/day_07/gid_2010_04_07_clemlb_chamlb_1/inning/inning_1.xml

        The ID attribute for the pitch element identifies the sequence of events.

        What are you using to store this data or what tool you are using to access it?

        - Paul Riker

        To: baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com
        From: wells@...
        Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:17:59 -0500
        Subject: [baseball-databank] Gameday question: pitches that end an at-bat?

        Is there a way to figure out which pitches end an atbat? The pitch type has values 'X', 'S', or 'B'- the 'X' indicates the ball was batted into play, but strikeouts/walks still will have a type of 'S' or 'B'.

        I suppose you can do a check against the count, but I was wondering if there was some field that just flagged it as an "atbat-ending" pitch.

        Thanks for any hacky tips you can share.

        --
        Wells Oliver
        wells@submute. net

      • Wells Oliver
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2010
          I have my own python script (http://github.com/wellsoliver/py-gameday).

          The id attribute of the pitch element is just an incrementing number for the pitches through the game, right? It does not seem to reset to 1 for the first pitch of the AB or anything. I don't see how you could use that to determine that a given pitch is the last in the AB.

          I realize programatically you would know that a given pitch element is the last element in the parent atbat element- that's one way you could know, but I was just wondering if there was some indicator in the data itself.

          - wells

          To: baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com