Question about Gameday data: pitch types

  • Wells Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hey everyone. I'm working through some little things and I'm wondering if I am just missing something obvious: what I'd like to do is use the Gameday data to determine a given lineup's skill against pitch types. So I'm looking at the probable starter for a given game, and getting his pitch types like so:

      SELECT
      pitcher player_id,
      count(*) c,
      pitch_type
      FROM gameday.pitch
      WHERE pitcher IN (%s)
      AND pitch_type IS NOT NULL
      GROUP BY pitch_type
      ORDER BY c DESC

      This gives you a breakdown of # of pitch type thrown (as per Gameday determinations). However, it seems like Gameday is lacking the info to really figure out how well a batter does against a certain kind of pitch. You can count from the same pitch table where the batter is a certain ID and group by the 'des' column to see on what pitch types the hitter made a hit, but it seems... incomplete.

      Any tips here?

      --
      Wells Oliver
      wells@...