KBO Database

  • Bryan Walko
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2010
      For anyone who's an international baseball geek, I noticed that outside of the US, the only decent historical stats were for the Japanese League. The Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) has been around for nearly 30 years now, and has been incredibly stable (having only one defunct franchise in 30 years).

      It rates as the probably the third best league in the world (MLB/NPB/KBO), although the Mexican League is pretty decent as well (and is technically part of the NAPBL). Basically KBO is the last league that you have in the world before you get to the more fly-by-night and/or lesser leagues (China, Netherlands, Italy, Cuba, Taiwan, Australia).

      To the point, I found some good stores of data, and I started creating a KBO historical database. I completed my first one (1982-2008) last year and updated it this year for the 2009 season and I plan on continuing to maintain it. You can see it here, if you have any interest. I asked Michael Westbay of JapanBaseball.com to host it, since I figured it's probably the best English language hangout for Asian baseball fans: http://japanesebaseball.com/data/index.gsp
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2010
        Walko-san wrote:

        > I asked Michael Westbay of JapanBaseball.com to host it, since I figured it's probably the best English language hangout for Asian baseball fans: http://japanesebaseball.com/data/index.gsp

        The original data set is at the above location. The links to the 2009
        data can be found here:

        http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/thread.gsp?forum=3&thread=30250#377608

        Hope this helps.

        --