Updating primpos.mdb

  • sgtmac5660@att.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2009
      Tangotiger;
      I found your "primpos.mdb" in the files section. I would like to use your queries with the Lahman 5.6 database. My interest is career prime position output. If I understand what you did, do I only need to copy your career related SQL queries (using 'playerID' instead 'LahmanID')?
      Any assistance will be appreciated.
      Mac
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
        That would seem to be correct. Try it out, and see what you get.

        Tom

      • sgtmac5660@att.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
          Tom;
          Worked like a charm. Just what I needed.
          Mac

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:

          > That would seem to be correct. Try it out, and see what you get.
          >
          > Tom
          >
          > > Tangotiger;
          > > I found your "primpos.mdb" in the files section. I would like to use your
          > > queries with the Lahman 5.6 database. My interest is career prime position
          > > output. If I understand what you did, do I only need to copy your career
          > > related SQL queries (using 'playerID' instead 'LahmanID')?
          > > Any assistance will be appreciated.
          > > Mac

          > The Book--Playing The Percentages In Baseball
          > http://www.InsideTheBook.com

        • Matthew Gargano
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
            pardon my ignorance, but what is the primpos.mdb database?

            On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM, sgtmac5660@... <sgtmac5660@...> wrote:
            Tom;
            Worked like a charm. Just what I needed.
            Mac

            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:

            > That would seem to be correct.  Try it out, and see what you get.
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > > Tangotiger;
            > > I found your "primpos.mdb" in the files section. I would like to use your
            > > queries with the Lahman 5.6 database. My interest is career prime position
            > > output. If I understand what you did, do I only need to copy  your career
            > > related SQL queries (using 'playerID' instead 'LahmanID')?
            > > Any assistance will be appreciated.
            > > Mac

            > The Book--Playing The Percentages In Baseball
            > http://www.InsideTheBook.com

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
              It's in the Files section. I don't remember if I put a Readme file with
              it. It's an Access query that figures out the primary position of every
              player. Download the file, and check it out...

              Tom

            • sgtmac5660@att.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                Matthew;
                If you feel that Tom's primpos.mdb is something you might be interested in using, just be aware you need to make some changes to use it with later versions of the Lahman Access database. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.
                Mac

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                  Thanks. I actually wrote a few functions as part of a php library to
                  handle the data. One is a method of determining primary position and
                  another is a list of positions played by the player in at least a
                  variable percentage of their innings. I also have a determinant of SP
                  vs RP vs CL. I have other functions as well such as
                  ReturnAgeAtSeasonStart, returnarrayofteamsplayedfor and a whole lot
                  more.

                  The only thing I want to add is a method of weighting more recent data
                  and possibly degrading data over a fixed/variable amount of years
                  (depending on age,position,etc.) for the data to make more accurate
                  determinations.

                  I think it's better to make a determination "on the fly" as opposed
                  to using a fixed database especially if data is being updated at some
                  point. A static database of player-position can get stale, especially
                  if the user forgets to include this years and used 2007's by accident.

                  I'm definitely interested in discussing further, especially if I
                  missed the point entirely - which is something I tend to do since I
                  try to think abstractly.

                  Matthew Gargano

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                    PrimPos.mdb is dynamic. It'll automatically recalculate the positions any
                    data the data set changes.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                      That's awesome Tom, I didn't know that, sorry for making an assumption.  Is there anything that automatically updates data within the current season?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                        > That's awesome Tom, I didn't know that, sorry for making an assumption.
                        > Is
                        > there anything that automatically updates data within the current season?

                        Best bet is to join the RetroSQL group. There's a couple of (external)
                        ongoing things that are highlighted there.

                        Tom
                      • Matthew Gargano
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                          I joined and searched retrosql and did not see anything for current
                          year stats. Is there some kind of guide or readme on how things work
                          on the group?