baseball-databank and baseball1

  • tjruane
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
      This could very well be a stupid question, but how similar is the data on baseball-databank and baseball1.com? I thought that at one point these were the same (although Sean provides the data in different formats), but have they diverged since the inception of baseball-databank? If I compared the two databases, how many statistical differences would I find?

      Thanks.
      Tom Ruane
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
        Of the tables that intersects, I would have to say the data is identical.
        I provided Lahman (and this group) with an Access script that loads all
        the baseball-databank csv files directly into Access. I will presume that
        Sean did not change it.

        Now, Forman also provides additional tables, like STATS/BIS xref IDs.
        Whether Lahman also loads those (or others) into his database, I didn't
        check.

        In any case, Lahman can provide the final word if he's around.

        Tom

        > This could very well be a stupid question, but how similar is the data on
        > baseball-databank and baseball1.com? I thought that at one point these
        > were the same (although Sean provides the data in different formats), but
        > have they diverged since the inception of baseball-databank? If I compared
        > the two databases, how many statistical differences would I find?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Tom Ruane

      • anson2995
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:
          > In any case, Lahman can provide the final word if he's around.

          Tom is correct. The underlying data is identical. The output formats are what's different.

          Sean Forman and I formed the baseball databank to help coordinate research and avoid duplication of effort, as well as to avoid divergence and differences with the underlying data.

          The baseball databank primarily serves folks with some degree of dexterity for working with relational databases. While this probably represents the majority of researchers, it's a smaller percentage of the overall users of the data. People without such skills are better able to use the data in MS Access or in the flat file spreadsheets. These also are used by third-party interfaces including baseball sims.

          But the root source for everything I distribute is the databank's SQL version.