Guide to on-line statistical databases

  • tjruane
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26 12:57 PM
      SABR is planning on revising their booklet on how to do baseball research and putting it on-line. One of the sections in the guide will be a discussion of statistical databases and websites. I was asked to work on this section, but my experience dealing with baseball databases (convert Pete Palmer's 1994 Total Baseball CD to my own format) is probably not going to be very helpful. So I was looking for some advice and this seemed like a good place to start.

      I guess my first question is whether anyone on this list would like to write (or point me to a FAQ or existing guide) a tutorial on how to use Baseball Databank's data?

      Also, are there other statistical resources on the internet we should be recommending (this should include both free and pay sites)? Ones that come to mind right away are baseball-reference's play index and Pat Doyle's professional baseball players DB, but I'm sure there are several others.

      Any and all help/advice is appreciated.
      Thanks for your patience.
      Tom Ruane
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26 1:15 PM
        > I guess my first question is whether anyone on this list would like to
        > write (or point me to a FAQ or existing guide) a tutorial on how to use
        > Baseball Databank's data?

        There are a few out there. Here's one:
        http://statspeak.net/2008/11/building-a-sabermetricians-workbench-part-i.html

        And you can quote Adler's book as well.

        There's also the Retrosheet database:
        http://tangotiger.net/wiki/index.php?title=Retrosheet_Database

        And there are also tutorials around as to how to use that DB as well, if
        you are going to be going there.

        Finally, there's the PITCHf/x (Gameday) database and tutorial here:
        http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/8/19/994666/saberizing-a-mac-4-pitch-f-x

        I can think of at least a few more tutorials out there that I've seen in
        the past year.

        Tom
      • Jeff Zimmerman
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26 1:17 PM
          Here is a great online tutorial on building an SQL database with databank

          http://statspeak.net/2008/11/building-a-sabermetricians-workbench-part-i.html
          http://statspeak.net/2008/11/building-a-sabermetricians-workbench-part-ii.html

          Here is a great one on Ball parks:
          http://seamheads.com/blog/2009/07/02/the-seamheads-ballparks-database-is-here/

          Jeff

          Talking about baseball, Giamatti wrote: "It will break your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.  You count on it, you rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then, just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

          maps.jeffdougdarrell.com

          To: baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26 5:19 PM
            tjruane-san wrote:

            > Also, are there other statistical resources on the internet we should be
            > recommending (this should include both free and pay sites)? Ones that come
            > to mind right away are baseball-reference's play index and Pat Doyle's
            > professional baseball players DB, but I'm sure there are several others.

            There are a couple of data sets available from NPB (Nippon
            Professional Baseball) here:

            http://www.japanesebaseball.com/data/

            The first one is mine. The above link will allow you to download the
            various tables as you want in CSV format, or you can download the
            latest (I just updated it today) MySQL dump here:

            http://www.japanesebaseball.com/data/proyakyu.sql

            The above are for past seasons. I also handle in-season data for
            Japan and Korea, but I'm not permitted to make those available to the
            public yet.

            ---
            Michael Westbay
            System Administrator
            JapaneseBaseball.com
          • tjruane
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27 5:16 PM
              Thanks for all the help. If the group doesn't mind, I might post a preliminary draft to the File section in a few weeks for review.
              Thanks again.
              Tom Ruane
            • Joel Dinda
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2009
                On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:57:54 -0000, tjruane wrote:
                [snip]
                > Also, are there other statistical resources on the internet we should
                > be recommending (this should include both free and pay sites)? Ones
                > that come to mind right away are baseball-reference's play index and
                > Pat Doyle's professional baseball players DB, but I'm sure there are
                > several others.
                [snip]

                Tom:

                The Baseball Cube *is* willing to sell data. Never tried it, but it looks like they deliver in a spreadsheet.

                See this page:

                http://thebaseballcube.com/help/data_Store.shtml

                joel
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009
                  > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:57:54 -0000, tjruane wrote:
                  > [snip]
                  >> Also, are there other statistical resources on the internet we should
                  >> be recommending (this should include both free and pay sites)? Ones
                  >> that come to mind right away are baseball-reference's play index and
                  >> Pat Doyle's professional baseball players DB, but I'm sure there are
                  >> several others.
                  > [snip]

                  I have a fairly exhaustive list here:
                  http://tangotiger.net/wiki/index.php?title=Websites#Data

                  Tom
                • Bryan Walko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009
                    If this includes just raw data, there is some Japanese data here:
                    http://japanesebaseball.com/data/index.jsp

                    And I created a pretty decent database of the Korean Baseball Organization, all the way back to the inception of the league, which you can currently find linked at the end of this thread: http://japanesebaseball.com/forum/thread.gsp?forum=3&thread=30250

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                      As I mentioned earlier, SABR is planning on updating its 2000 booklet, "How to Baseball Research" and making it available on-line. An early version of the chapter on statistical databases and websites is now available at:

                      http://www.retrosheet.org/Research/RuaneT/htdbr_stat_internet_chap.html

                      Please let me know of any corrections or suggestion for additions.

                      Thanks for your patience.
                      Tom Ruane
                    • Judson Green
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2009
                        Baseball Reference has had the SABR Home Run Encyclopedia for quite some time. It was announced by Sean on May 19, 2009:

                        http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/1632

                        and can be accessed by clicking the "more [+]" tab, then scrolling to "home runs" and clicking there. Alternatively, if you search a player from the home page, you'll see a tab that says "HR Log" below where it says "Standard Batting".

                        Judson Green

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 12, 2009
                          Judson Green wrote:

                          > Baseball Reference has had the SABR Home Run Encyclopedia for
                          > quite some time. It was announced by Sean on May 19, 2009:
                          >
                          > http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/1632
                          >
                          > and can be accessed by clicking the "more [+]" tab, then
                          > scrolling to "home runs" and clicking there. Alternatively, if
                          > you search a player from the home page, you'll see a tab that
                          > says "HR Log" below where it says "Standard Batting".

                          Thanks for the update. I have changed the linked chapter accordingly.

                          Tom Ruane