Ethnicity and Race

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2009
      This post is only for those who sees this from a clinical rather than
      moral perspective. Please ignore this post is you are in the latter
      group.

      Can someone send me email addresses or post links to various race- or
      ethnic-based research, where the researcher compiled a database denoting
      the players by ethnicity, race, or skin color?

      Thanks, Tom

    • Jeff Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2009
        Tom,

        I someone else was looking to do this and was using some kind of program to looked at the player's pitcher and then set the race accordingly.  I look for it with Google, but can not find it.  I will look again for it tonight as I should actually work at work.

        Jeff

        Talking about baseball, Giamatti wrote: "It will break your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.  You count on it, you rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then, just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

        maps.jeffdougdarrell.com

        To: baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com
        From: tom@...
        Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:59:57 -0400
        Subject: [baseball-databank] Ethnicity and Race

        This post is only for those who sees this from a clinical rather than
        moral perspective. Please ignore this post is you are in the latter
        group.

        Can someone send me email addresses or post links to various race- or
        ethnic-based research, where the researcher compiled a database denoting
        the players by ethnicity, race, or skin color?

        Thanks, Tom

        http://www.InsideTh eBook.com

        Windows Liveā„¢: Life without walls. Check it out.
      • Craig Depken
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2009

          Craig Depken and Jon Ford have a paper in the 2006 Journal of Socio Economics looking at the impact of race on allstar ballots. I can provide the data we used in that paper.

          Hanssen and Andersen have a similar paper in the 1999 Economic Inquiry who look at a period earlier than we do.

          There might be others in the sports economics area that have looked at race/ethnicity in baseball. I can poke around.

          Craig