Is "Clutchieness" quantifiable?

  • mmc_cann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2009
      "Clutchieness" a word form I learned from studying SNL's evaluations
      of the "Truthieness" of a certain politian.

      Clutch hitters, (and pitchers,) should be evaluated according to the
      situation in which they appear, the "clutchieness" of the at-bat.

      ideas: beginning of the season; lower C-factor.
      late mid season; higher C-factor.
      late innings higher than early innings.
      no outs higher C-factor, training teams
      one out, a bit lower, trailing teams
      insurmountable lead innings 5-7 less C-factor,

      Anyway I hoe you get the idea.

      post here or to me at mitch.mccann at gmail dot com

      put C-factor in subject.

      I'd like to know your mind on this subject.
    • Rod Nelson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2009
        This has been argued ad nauseum, but for the record, 'truthiness' is a Stephen Colbert construct, not SNL.
        Credit where it's due.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

        Word.

        Rod Nelson

        On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM, mmc_cann <mmc_cann@...> wrote:
        "Clutchieness" a word form I learned from studying SNL's evaluations
        of the "Truthieness" of a certain politian.

        Clutch hitters, (and pitchers,) should be evaluated according to the
        situation in which they appear, the "clutchieness" of the at-bat.

        ideas:  beginning of the season; lower C-factor.
               late mid season; higher C-factor.
               late innings higher than early innings.
               no outs higher C-factor, training teams
               one out, a bit lower, trailing teams
               insurmountable lead innings 5-7 less C-factor,

        Anyway I hoe you get the idea.

        post here or to me at mitch.mccann at gmail dot com

        put C-factor in subject.

        I'd like to know your mind on this subject.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2009
          The term "clutchiness" was coined by Tangotiger a couple of years ago. We've defined it and written about it the last two years in the Hardball Times Baseball Annual.

          dave