Baseball Analysis Tutorial Site

  • golablues
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
      Hello,

      Thanks for allowing me to join this group. I am a teacher at
      University of Phoenix and would love to use Baseball as a
      way to teach database, SQL, Data Analysis etc... I am actually
      thinking of creating a site that teaches this stuff as well and would
      love some help.

      If you are interested in helping putting together tutorials/howtos on
      the following, please let me know:

      Common SQL queries for basic info
      SQL statementds comparing teams/ players
      SQl statements comparing player vs. player (i.e. matchups)
      Intro to Sabermetrics with Baseball-databank

      I would really be looking for someone(s) to do the basic step by step
      and I would convert it to proper format. I may be able to pay a
      little or this would be great for some to work on with me if
      interested.

      Please let me know via email or I am always on IM (golablues@yahoo)

      Thanks!

      Marty
    • Daryl Spitzer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
        I recommend the book Baseball Hacks
        (http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Hacks-Analyzing-Winning-Statistics/dp/0596009429).

        --
        Daryl

        On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:19 AM, golablues <marty@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Thanks for allowing me to join this group. I am a teacher at
        > University of Phoenix and would love to use Baseball as a
        > way to teach database, SQL, Data Analysis etc... I am actually
        > thinking of creating a site that teaches this stuff as well and would
        > love some help.
        >
        > If you are interested in helping putting together tutorials/howtos on
        > the following, please let me know:
        >
        > Common SQL queries for basic info
        > SQL statementds comparing teams/ players
        > SQl statements comparing player vs. player (i.e. matchups)
        > Intro to Sabermetrics with Baseball-databank
        >
        > I would really be looking for someone(s) to do the basic step by step
        > and I would convert it to proper format. I may be able to pay a
        > little or this would be great for some to work on with me if
        > interested.
        >
        > Please let me know via email or I am always on IM (golablues@yahoo)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Marty

      • wyerscj
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
          The tutorials I wrote:

          http://statspeak.net/2008/11/building-a-sabermetricians-workbench-
          part-i.html

          http://statspeak.net/2008/11/building-a-sabermetricians-workbench-
          part-ii.html

          My wiki/forum:

          http://basql.wikidot.com/

          That should get you started. You can e-mail me at
          pontifexexmachina@... if you need something more.

          Cheers,
          --CW

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "golablues" <marty@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Thanks for allowing me to join this group. I am a teacher at
          > University of Phoenix and would love to use Baseball as a
          > way to teach database, SQL, Data Analysis etc... I am actually
          > thinking of creating a site that teaches this stuff as well and
          would
          > love some help.
          >
          > If you are interested in helping putting together tutorials/howtos
          on
          > the following, please let me know:
          >

          > Common SQL queries for basic info
          > SQL statementds comparing teams/ players
          > SQl statements comparing player vs. player (i.e. matchups)
          > Intro to Sabermetrics with Baseball-databank
          >
          > I would really be looking for someone(s) to do the basic step by
          step
          > and I would convert it to proper format. I may be able to pay a
          > little or this would be great for some to work on with me if
          > interested.
          >

          > Please let me know via email or I am always on IM (golablues@yahoo)
          >

          > Thanks!
          >
          > Marty

        • ebx327
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2008
            hi, Marty .. i am a former high school math teacher currently on an
            extended sabbatical .. i am also a former database programmer .. while
            my SQL skills are limited and my programming skills not current, i am
            fully aware and strongly support the potential value of baseball as a
            teaching metaphor

            last year, i began developing a set of Excel spreadsheets supporting
            MLB Fantasy Baseball with an intent toward using output from them in a
            classroom setting or an on-line tutorial for power users of Excel ..
            this season, i hope to be working with our local high school baseball
            coach to see if there may be a way to develop my work further with a
            focus on student athletes

            in brief, i am interested in helping anyway i can

            ron blake
            liberty, texas