Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Player ID for new players in 2008

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
      No need. Like I said, I sent it out somewhere, probably not here. Plus, I
      sent out so many notes in those few days, who knows exactly what I was
      saying. I should have been more economical with my posts.

      In any case, I'm glad that you gave it a second review.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 21, 2008
        I should highlight that in that folder, I have the primary positions file
        for every player/season.

        What I did *not* do was for the BDB shell script to import that file
        automatically. I could, but I didn't. The reason was for that shell
        script to only import the data that directly corresponds to the "official"
        tables in the BDB. (Note: it is very easy to import it manually, in
        Access: just click NEW/Import Table.)

        I could expand, for example, by including wOBA or LWTS, or creating a
        "BattingNoStint" table to group the records to get rid of the stint field.
        Really, there's no end to what we can do in terms of making the DB more
        friendly.

        Perhaps I will make an exception for this particular case, simply because
        it's a fairly involved process to try to get the primary position. If
        there are other useful things that can be generated (that would require a
        fairly involved process), please post it, and I'll consider it.

        Thanks, Tom