Re: [baseball-databank] Re: 2008 pre-release - data error

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
      http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/bdb_database_ms_access/

      Includes data instructions, pending Sean's next release.

      ***

      As for Hemond, the Branch Rickey Award is not exclusive to players, so,
      ideally, we'd have a separate table for "baseball professionals".

      Realistically, this points to the issue of not having a "Persons" table
      and a "PersonID" (though the LahmanID functions here, it is not used
      anywhere), as opposed to what we currently have.

      So, I'd say for now, you can leave it in there, and just create some
      "release notes" that points this out, and the user can decide what he
      wants to do with it.

      Tom
    • robert bluestein
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
        where can i find stats for Intertional Walks?

        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
          Intentional Walks should be in the BATTING Table, column name IBB, in between SO and HBP.

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
            I updated the DB shell scripts to update the RetroID for all new 2008
            players.

            Just follow the revised instructions (which will include the mapping file
            of retro/BDB IDs for new players).

            You should then be ready to go.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
              In a case that no one would have ever imagined, it appears you have a
              duplicate in here.

              fukuk001 for both fukudko01 and fukumka01

              Couple of other dupes as well.
              | millj004 | 2 | milleja04--2008-06-22,milleji02--2008-09-01 |
              | montl001 | 2 | montalu01--2008-08-05,montzlu01--2008-09-04 |

              Dates are debuts.

              Looks like
              fukumka01 => fukuk002
              milleji02 => millj005
              montzlu01 => montl002

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                Hmmm... I made the announcement on my blog with the updated file, I think
                I made the announcement at Retrolist, and I guess I overlooked making the
                announcement here. Two out of three and all that...

                Thanks to Sean for the alert.

                The correct IDs, as well as the most up-to-date DB shell script, will
                always be found here:

                http://tangotiger.net/bdb/

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                    No need. Like I said, I sent it out somewhere, probably not here. Plus, I
                    sent out so many notes in those few days, who knows exactly what I was
                    saying. I should have been more economical with my posts.

                    In any case, I'm glad that you gave it a second review.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 21, 2008
                      I should highlight that in that folder, I have the primary positions file
                      for every player/season.

                      What I did *not* do was for the BDB shell script to import that file
                      automatically. I could, but I didn't. The reason was for that shell
                      script to only import the data that directly corresponds to the "official"
                      tables in the BDB. (Note: it is very easy to import it manually, in
                      Access: just click NEW/Import Table.)

                      I could expand, for example, by including wOBA or LWTS, or creating a
                      "BattingNoStint" table to group the records to get rid of the stint field.
                      Really, there's no end to what we can do in terms of making the DB more
                      friendly.

                      Perhaps I will make an exception for this particular case, simply because
                      it's a fairly involved process to try to get the primary position. If
                      there are other useful things that can be generated (that would require a
                      fairly involved process), please post it, and I'll consider it.

                      Thanks, Tom