Re: [baseball-databank] Re: 2008 pre-release - data error

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
      Good point. LahmanID would work.  Perhaps I'll add a column to the AwardPlayers table for LahmanID, or we could add AwardsOther for things like BranchRickey and the Executive of the year awards.

      sean

      On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Micke Hovmöller <micke.hovmoller@...> wrote:

      On 11/17/08, Sean Forman <sean-forman@...> wrote:

      > Problem is that we have an award for players that Hemond got.  I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle this.
      According to http://www.branchrickeyaward.org/index.html, the award is for "professionals in Major League baseball", which I interpret as possibly other than players.

      I'm not enough up to date on the current DB scheme to suggest a specific change, but isn't there a masterID for everyone, independently of the role they have ever had? If so, shouldn't that be the key in this table?

      (If you are referring to another award, my apologies.)

      /Micke

      President, Sports Reference LLC
      http://www.sports-reference.com/
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
        http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/bdb_database_ms_access/

        Includes data instructions, pending Sean's next release.

        ***

        As for Hemond, the Branch Rickey Award is not exclusive to players, so,
        ideally, we'd have a separate table for "baseball professionals".

        Realistically, this points to the issue of not having a "Persons" table
        and a "PersonID" (though the LahmanID functions here, it is not used
        anywhere), as opposed to what we currently have.

        So, I'd say for now, you can leave it in there, and just create some
        "release notes" that points this out, and the user can decide what he
        wants to do with it.

        Tom
      • robert bluestein
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
          where can i find stats for Intertional Walks?

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
            Intentional Walks should be in the BATTING Table, column name IBB, in between SO and HBP.

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
              I updated the DB shell scripts to update the RetroID for all new 2008
              players.

              Just follow the revised instructions (which will include the mapping file
              of retro/BDB IDs for new players).

              You should then be ready to go.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                In a case that no one would have ever imagined, it appears you have a
                duplicate in here.

                fukuk001 for both fukudko01 and fukumka01

                Couple of other dupes as well.
                | millj004 | 2 | milleja04--2008-06-22,milleji02--2008-09-01 |
                | montl001 | 2 | montalu01--2008-08-05,montzlu01--2008-09-04 |

                Dates are debuts.

                Looks like
                fukumka01 => fukuk002
                milleji02 => millj005
                montzlu01 => montl002

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                  Hmmm... I made the announcement on my blog with the updated file, I think
                  I made the announcement at Retrolist, and I guess I overlooked making the
                  announcement here. Two out of three and all that...

                  Thanks to Sean for the alert.

                  The correct IDs, as well as the most up-to-date DB shell script, will
                  always be found here:

                  http://tangotiger.net/bdb/

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                      No need. Like I said, I sent it out somewhere, probably not here. Plus, I
                      sent out so many notes in those few days, who knows exactly what I was
                      saying. I should have been more economical with my posts.

                      In any case, I'm glad that you gave it a second review.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 21, 2008
                        I should highlight that in that folder, I have the primary positions file
                        for every player/season.

                        What I did *not* do was for the BDB shell script to import that file
                        automatically. I could, but I didn't. The reason was for that shell
                        script to only import the data that directly corresponds to the "official"
                        tables in the BDB. (Note: it is very easy to import it manually, in
                        Access: just click NEW/Import Table.)

                        I could expand, for example, by including wOBA or LWTS, or creating a
                        "BattingNoStint" table to group the records to get rid of the stint field.
                        Really, there's no end to what we can do in terms of making the DB more
                        friendly.

                        Perhaps I will make an exception for this particular case, simply because
                        it's a fairly involved process to try to get the primary position. If
                        there are other useful things that can be generated (that would require a
                        fairly involved process), please post it, and I'll consider it.

                        Thanks, Tom