Re: [baseball-databank] 2008 pre-release

  • 4seamer
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
      > Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
      > deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
      > data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
      > ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.

      You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
      freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
      same page.

      Just a thought,
      Jake
    • Mike Emeigh
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
        Jake wrote:

        > > Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
        > > deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
        > > data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
        > > ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.
        >
        > You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
        > freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
        > same page.

        So why don't you build a prototype?
        --
        Mike Emeigh
        piratefan1@...

        "I think that it's high time that a new school of management emerges
        that uses Dilbert as it's cautionary statement - if what you are
        proposing as a manager has ever appeared in a Dilbert cartoon, you need
        to re-think your proposal." -- Jonathan House
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
          > You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
          > freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
          > same page.
          >
          > Just a thought,
          > Jake

          Jake, you must be new around here :)

          We've had a long history here of trying to get a better organization.
          Despite some of our best efforts, it just doesn't seem to work out. As it
          is, this BDB yahoo group is a dumping ground for data, however and
          wherever we can get it.

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 15, 2008
            Although we've had those fields in the pitching table for awhile, I don't believe the database has ever had SH, SF or GIDP for pitching.

            THANKS,
            KJOK

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 15, 2008
              I just checked the prior release (I plan on keeping it around for
              another month or so), and the SH, SF and GIDP fields are missing from
              the pitching table there as well.

              --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...>

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                The AllStarFull table contains nulls in a key field (GameID) for records
                in 1945. As a result, I've changed the key for that table as playerID,
                yearID, gameNum. (I think someone made a note about this already.)

                Also, the managerID is not required as a key in the Managers table.
                Uniqueness is established with yearid, teamid, inseason. Unless we expect
                co-managers, managerID is extraneous.

                Otherwise, all the data looks good. I will post the shell database on my
                blog, and note the corrections required to the datafiles pending release
                of any updated datafiles.

                Check back later today here:
                http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/

                Thanks again for Sean for the very clean data.

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                  I'll do an upload later this week as I cull through these.

                  This field contains an invalid date: "1883-00-00"

                  Fixed with John's correction.

                  Error 2:
                  17310,"hemonro99","","",,,,,,,,,,,,,"Roland","Hemond",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"hemonro99"

                  Roland Hemond is not a player, and should not have a player ID.

                  Problem is that we have an award for players that Hemond got.  I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle this.

                  ***

                  XREF_STATS.txt
                  Error 3:
                  "",,

                  This record (line 44) has an invalid player id and should be removed from
                  the file.

                  Deleted.

                  I will await changes to these records, and a reply to the other one on the
                  pitching table, prior to releasing my script to load the data into MS
                  Access.

                  President, Sports Reference LLC
                  http://www.sports-reference.com/
                • Micke Hovmöller
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                    On 11/17/08, Sean Forman <sean-forman@...> wrote:

                    > Problem is that we have an award for players that Hemond got.  I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle this.
                    According to http://www.branchrickeyaward.org/index.html, the award is for "professionals in Major League baseball", which I interpret as possibly other than players.

                    I'm not enough up to date on the current DB scheme to suggest a specific change, but isn't there a masterID for everyone, independently of the role they have ever had? If so, shouldn't that be the key in this table?

                    (If you are referring to another award, my apologies.)

                    /Micke
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                      Good point. LahmanID would work.  Perhaps I'll add a column to the AwardPlayers table for LahmanID, or we could add AwardsOther for things like BranchRickey and the Executive of the year awards.

                      sean

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                        http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/bdb_database_ms_access/

                        Includes data instructions, pending Sean's next release.

                        ***

                        As for Hemond, the Branch Rickey Award is not exclusive to players, so,
                        ideally, we'd have a separate table for "baseball professionals".

                        Realistically, this points to the issue of not having a "Persons" table
                        and a "PersonID" (though the LahmanID functions here, it is not used
                        anywhere), as opposed to what we currently have.

                        So, I'd say for now, you can leave it in there, and just create some
                        "release notes" that points this out, and the user can decide what he
                        wants to do with it.

                        Tom
                      • robert bluestein
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                          where can i find stats for Intertional Walks?

                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                            Intentional Walks should be in the BATTING Table, column name IBB, in between SO and HBP.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                              I updated the DB shell scripts to update the RetroID for all new 2008
                              players.

                              Just follow the revised instructions (which will include the mapping file
                              of retro/BDB IDs for new players).

                              You should then be ready to go.

                              Tom

                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                In a case that no one would have ever imagined, it appears you have a
                                duplicate in here.

                                fukuk001 for both fukudko01 and fukumka01

                                Couple of other dupes as well.
                                | millj004 | 2 | milleja04--2008-06-22,milleji02--2008-09-01 |
                                | montl001 | 2 | montalu01--2008-08-05,montzlu01--2008-09-04 |

                                Dates are debuts.

                                Looks like
                                fukumka01 => fukuk002
                                milleji02 => millj005
                                montzlu01 => montl002

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                  Hmmm... I made the announcement on my blog with the updated file, I think
                                  I made the announcement at Retrolist, and I guess I overlooked making the
                                  announcement here. Two out of three and all that...

                                  Thanks to Sean for the alert.

                                  The correct IDs, as well as the most up-to-date DB shell script, will
                                  always be found here:

                                  http://tangotiger.net/bdb/

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                      No need. Like I said, I sent it out somewhere, probably not here. Plus, I
                                      sent out so many notes in those few days, who knows exactly what I was
                                      saying. I should have been more economical with my posts.

                                      In any case, I'm glad that you gave it a second review.

                                      Tom

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 21, 2008
                                        I should highlight that in that folder, I have the primary positions file
                                        for every player/season.

                                        What I did *not* do was for the BDB shell script to import that file
                                        automatically. I could, but I didn't. The reason was for that shell
                                        script to only import the data that directly corresponds to the "official"
                                        tables in the BDB. (Note: it is very easy to import it manually, in
                                        Access: just click NEW/Import Table.)

                                        I could expand, for example, by including wOBA or LWTS, or creating a
                                        "BattingNoStint" table to group the records to get rid of the stint field.
                                        Really, there's no end to what we can do in terms of making the DB more
                                        friendly.

                                        Perhaps I will make an exception for this particular case, simply because
                                        it's a fairly involved process to try to get the primary position. If
                                        there are other useful things that can be generated (that would require a
                                        fairly involved process), please post it, and I'll consider it.

                                        Thanks, Tom