Re: [baseball-databank] 2008 pre-release

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 13, 2008
      Two hours without comment? I hope that's because we are in shock and not
      passe over this. Anyway, a huge thanks to Sean for delivering the data.

      I am going to work on updating my MS Access shell to automatically import
      the data. With new columns, I have to spend a bit of time to get that
      straightened out. I'll make that available once I've got it working,
      hopefully no later than early next week.

      Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
      deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
      data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
      ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 13, 2008
        For some reason, your email came in before Sean's did, otherwise I'd have said:

        YEAH!!

        Two hours without comment? I hope that's because we are in shock and not
        passe over this. Anyway, a huge thanks to Sean for delivering the data.

        I am going to work on updating my MS Access shell to automatically import
        the data. With new columns, I have to spend a bit of time to get that
        straightened out. I'll make that available once I've got it working,
        hopefully no later than early next week.

        Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
        deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
        data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
        ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.

        Tom

        > I've updated a BDB update today. Here are the release notes. One should
        > consider this a proposed release as I would like lots of review to point
        > out
        > any issues with the newest release.
        >
        > sean
        >
        > Notes:
        >
        > Added an appearances table that goes from 1973-present for the AL and 1974
        > on for the NL. These years were chosen because they contain the entirety
        > of
        > the DH-era for the AL and the seasons in the NL for which Retrosheet data
        > is
        > complete. This table contains a summary of games played by position
        > including a summary by position. It also lists, in G_batting, the number
        > of
        > games in which the player appeared in a batting order. In the DH-era AL
        > pitchers may well have all zeros here as they never appeared in the
        > lineup.
        >
        > Postseason batting, pitching and fielding tables were greatly expanded and
        > improved from play-by-play data.
        >
        > The games played data in Batting should now list all games played for all
        > players, and all players will appear in this table regardless of whether
        > they were in the lineup. I've added a G_batting column to show you when
        > the
        > player did not appear in the lineup that season and also nulled out their
        > stats when they did not have batting stats for that year.
        >
        > In FieldingOF, I deleted entries for seasons after 1956, since I have
        > entered full LF-CF-RF entries for those seasons and the games played
        > totals
        > are now redundant.
        >
        > Added an AllstarFull table that adds info like starter and GP info.
        >

        > --
        > Sean Forman
        > President, Sports Reference LLC
        > http://www.sports- reference. com/

        http://www.InsideTh eBook.com

      • wyerscj
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 13, 2008
          Hey, some of us have jobs! :)

          When I get home tonight I'll go about importing this into my MySQL
          setup and driving it around. I'll probably keep the last version
          around for a little while just to have a reference point.

          As for the ID mapping data - for stuff like the STATS IDs I sent you
          earlier, what would be the appropriate way to submit those to the
          list? I'm wary of sending everyone an attachment like that.

          And to echo everyone's comments, thanks a lot for this, Sean.

          --CW

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Tangotiger" <tom@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > players, and all players will appear in this table regardless of
          whether
          > > they were in the lineup. I've added a G_batting column to show you
          when
          > > the
          > > player did not appear in the lineup that season and also nulled
          out their
          > > stats when they did not have batting stats for that year.
          > >
          > > In FieldingOF, I deleted entries for seasons after 1956, since I have
          > > entered full LF-CF-RF entries for those seasons and the games played
          > > totals
          > > are now redundant.
          > >
          > > Added an AllstarFull table that adds info like starter and GP info.
          > >

          > > --
          > > Sean Forman
          > > President, Sports Reference LLC
          > > http://www.sports-reference.com/

          > The Book--Playing The Percentages In Baseball

        • Keith Hemmelman
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 13, 2008
            Sean, not sure when I will have time to take a look at the new release, but I wanted to send a big "Thank you!" to you and everyone else that contributes to this project.  All the hard work done is greatly appreciated.

            Keith Hemmelman

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 13, 2008
              > As for the ID mapping data - for stuff like the STATS IDs I sent you
              > earlier, what would be the appropriate way to submit those to the
              > list? I'm wary of sending everyone an attachment like that.

              If anyone has any data they'd like to share, post it here:

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                In working with the files, I see that the Appearances file does not have a
                stintID field. Users should be aware that if they need to JOIN the
                Fielding table to the Appearances table, that they need to do a GROUP BY
                that excludes the stintId field, and instead includes the teamID field.
                Once you create that Query or View, then you can proceed with the JOIN.

                Also, I continue to recommend changing the Appearances table to move
                vertically, not horizontally. For example, if you want to include starts,
                subs, finishes, innings, PA for each position, you just need to add those
                few number of columns (5). In the current scheme, you'd have to add 5
                times 9 (or more).

                The mode around here is to accept what we can get. But, if we can move
                toward something more in-line with standards, that's preferable.

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                  The HOFold table can be dropped.

                  I think carrying the "old" information is fine for one season, for
                  transition reasons. But, at some point, support should stop. I don't see
                  why we need to worry about this table any longer.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                    The pitching.sql table is not showing SH, SF, GIDP. Is this an oversight,
                    or is it correct?

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                      MASTER.txt

                      Error 1:
                      9078,"mccafha01","","",1858,11,25,"USA","MO","St.
                      Louis",1928,4,19,"USA","MO","St.Louis","Harry","McCaffery",,"Harry
                      Charles",,185,,"R","R","1882-06-15","1883-00-00","","mccafha01","mccafha01","mccah101","mccafha01","mccafha01"

                      This field contains an invalid date: "1883-00-00"

                      Error 2:
                      17310,"hemonro99","","",,,,,,,,,,,,,"Roland","Hemond",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"hemonro99"

                      Roland Hemond is not a player, and should not have a player ID.

                      ***

                      XREF_STATS.txt
                      Error 3:
                      "",,

                      This record (line 44) has an invalid player id and should be removed from
                      the file.

                      I will await changes to these records, and a reply to the other one on the
                      pitching table, prior to releasing my script to load the data into MS
                      Access.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                        (Message cross-posted to three Yahoo groups.)

                        Attached you will find a file that contains the playerID of all 238 new
                        players from the 2008 season. The playerID is for:
                        - BDB
                        - Retrosheet
                        - MLB.com

                        The Retrosheet IDs are "presumed", but they follow the standards that have
                        been set in the past. We'll know if they are correct once Retrosheet
                        files are released. (Differences may exist, depending on whether Nix and
                        Van Every get their expected IDs. Or if someone's first name is different
                        between BDB and Retrosheet.)

                        Consider this unofficial, but useful.

                        Tom
                      • John H. Rickert
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                          Tangotiger wrote:

                          > MASTER.txt
                          >
                          > Error 1:
                          > 9078,"mccafha01","","",1858,11,25,"USA","MO","St.
                          > Louis",1928,4,19,"USA","MO","St.Louis","Harry","McCaffery",,"Harry
                          > Charles",,185,,"R","R","1882-06-15","1883-00-00","","mccafha01","mccafha01","mccah101","mccafha01","mccafha01"
                          >
                          > This field contains an invalid date: "1883-00-00"

                          According to Retrosheet his last game was 1883-06-25
                        • 4seamer
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                            > Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
                            > deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
                            > data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
                            > ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.

                            You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
                            freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
                            same page.

                            Just a thought,
                            Jake
                          • Mike Emeigh
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                              Jake wrote:

                              > > Also, please treat this as an open invitation to everyone out there to
                              > > deliver whatever data they get their hands on, especially "ID mapping"
                              > > data across the various data sources. It's important to think of this
                              > > ground as a dumping ground for any and all data.
                              >
                              > You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
                              > freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
                              > same page.

                              So why don't you build a prototype?
                              --
                              Mike Emeigh
                              piratefan1@...

                              "I think that it's high time that a new school of management emerges
                              that uses Dilbert as it's cautionary statement - if what you are
                              proposing as a manager has ever appeared in a Dilbert cartoon, you need
                              to re-think your proposal." -- Jonathan House
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 14, 2008
                                > You know Tom, everyone seems to be spinning their wheels with all this
                                > freely available data. What we need are API's built so we all get on the
                                > same page.
                                >
                                > Just a thought,
                                > Jake

                                Jake, you must be new around here :)

                                We've had a long history here of trying to get a better organization.
                                Despite some of our best efforts, it just doesn't seem to work out. As it
                                is, this BDB yahoo group is a dumping ground for data, however and
                                wherever we can get it.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 15, 2008
                                  Although we've had those fields in the pitching table for awhile, I don't believe the database has ever had SH, SF or GIDP for pitching.

                                  THANKS,
                                  KJOK

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 15, 2008
                                    I just checked the prior release (I plan on keeping it around for
                                    another month or so), and the SH, SF and GIDP fields are missing from
                                    the pitching table there as well.

                                    --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...>

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                      The AllStarFull table contains nulls in a key field (GameID) for records
                                      in 1945. As a result, I've changed the key for that table as playerID,
                                      yearID, gameNum. (I think someone made a note about this already.)

                                      Also, the managerID is not required as a key in the Managers table.
                                      Uniqueness is established with yearid, teamid, inseason. Unless we expect
                                      co-managers, managerID is extraneous.

                                      Otherwise, all the data looks good. I will post the shell database on my
                                      blog, and note the corrections required to the datafiles pending release
                                      of any updated datafiles.

                                      Check back later today here:
                                      http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/

                                      Thanks again for Sean for the very clean data.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                        I'll do an upload later this week as I cull through these.

                                        This field contains an invalid date: "1883-00-00"

                                        Fixed with John's correction.

                                        Error 2:
                                        17310,"hemonro99","","",,,,,,,,,,,,,"Roland","Hemond",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"hemonro99"

                                        Roland Hemond is not a player, and should not have a player ID.

                                        Problem is that we have an award for players that Hemond got.  I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle this.

                                        ***

                                        XREF_STATS.txt
                                        Error 3:
                                        "",,

                                        This record (line 44) has an invalid player id and should be removed from
                                        the file.

                                        Deleted.

                                        I will await changes to these records, and a reply to the other one on the
                                        pitching table, prior to releasing my script to load the data into MS
                                        Access.

                                        President, Sports Reference LLC
                                        http://www.sports-reference.com/
                                      • Micke Hovmöller
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                          On 11/17/08, Sean Forman <sean-forman@...> wrote:

                                          > Problem is that we have an award for players that Hemond got.  I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle this.
                                          According to http://www.branchrickeyaward.org/index.html, the award is for "professionals in Major League baseball", which I interpret as possibly other than players.

                                          I'm not enough up to date on the current DB scheme to suggest a specific change, but isn't there a masterID for everyone, independently of the role they have ever had? If so, shouldn't that be the key in this table?

                                          (If you are referring to another award, my apologies.)

                                          /Micke
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                            Good point. LahmanID would work.  Perhaps I'll add a column to the AwardPlayers table for LahmanID, or we could add AwardsOther for things like BranchRickey and the Executive of the year awards.

                                            sean

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                              http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/bdb_database_ms_access/

                                              Includes data instructions, pending Sean's next release.

                                              ***

                                              As for Hemond, the Branch Rickey Award is not exclusive to players, so,
                                              ideally, we'd have a separate table for "baseball professionals".

                                              Realistically, this points to the issue of not having a "Persons" table
                                              and a "PersonID" (though the LahmanID functions here, it is not used
                                              anywhere), as opposed to what we currently have.

                                              So, I'd say for now, you can leave it in there, and just create some
                                              "release notes" that points this out, and the user can decide what he
                                              wants to do with it.

                                              Tom
                                            • robert bluestein
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                                where can i find stats for Intertional Walks?

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                                  Intentional Walks should be in the BATTING Table, column name IBB, in between SO and HBP.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 17, 2008
                                                    I updated the DB shell scripts to update the RetroID for all new 2008
                                                    players.

                                                    Just follow the revised instructions (which will include the mapping file
                                                    of retro/BDB IDs for new players).

                                                    You should then be ready to go.

                                                    Tom

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                      In a case that no one would have ever imagined, it appears you have a
                                                      duplicate in here.

                                                      fukuk001 for both fukudko01 and fukumka01

                                                      Couple of other dupes as well.
                                                      | millj004 | 2 | milleja04--2008-06-22,milleji02--2008-09-01 |
                                                      | montl001 | 2 | montalu01--2008-08-05,montzlu01--2008-09-04 |

                                                      Dates are debuts.

                                                      Looks like
                                                      fukumka01 => fukuk002
                                                      milleji02 => millj005
                                                      montzlu01 => montl002

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                        Hmmm... I made the announcement on my blog with the updated file, I think
                                                        I made the announcement at Retrolist, and I guess I overlooked making the
                                                        announcement here. Two out of three and all that...

                                                        Thanks to Sean for the alert.

                                                        The correct IDs, as well as the most up-to-date DB shell script, will
                                                        always be found here:

                                                        http://tangotiger.net/bdb/

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                            No need. Like I said, I sent it out somewhere, probably not here. Plus, I
                                                            sent out so many notes in those few days, who knows exactly what I was
                                                            saying. I should have been more economical with my posts.

                                                            In any case, I'm glad that you gave it a second review.

                                                            Tom

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Nov 21, 2008
                                                              I should highlight that in that folder, I have the primary positions file
                                                              for every player/season.

                                                              What I did *not* do was for the BDB shell script to import that file
                                                              automatically. I could, but I didn't. The reason was for that shell
                                                              script to only import the data that directly corresponds to the "official"
                                                              tables in the BDB. (Note: it is very easy to import it manually, in
                                                              Access: just click NEW/Import Table.)

                                                              I could expand, for example, by including wOBA or LWTS, or creating a
                                                              "BattingNoStint" table to group the records to get rid of the stint field.
                                                              Really, there's no end to what we can do in terms of making the DB more
                                                              friendly.

                                                              Perhaps I will make an exception for this particular case, simply because
                                                              it's a fairly involved process to try to get the primary position. If
                                                              there are other useful things that can be generated (that would require a
                                                              fairly involved process), please post it, and I'll consider it.

                                                              Thanks, Tom