Re: [baseball-databank] 2008 Update this week or early next

  • Matthew Gargano
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
      Sean:

      That schema sounds great to me.

      Just a quick question - I did some research and searched the Yahoo! group and couldn't find the answer to this.  There are some players that are missing InnOuts in the Fielding table (Moises Alou for the late 90's for example) and ZR (Jeff Keppinger for 2007 for example).

      Are these data available in full?  Will they be in the newest release?  Did I just have a bad copy of the DB?  I noticed that (for Fielding) InnOuts are on Baseball-Reference so it must be somewhere.

      Let me know.

      I appreciate all of the work!

      Thanks,

      Matthew Gargano
    • robert bluestein
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
        You can do it that way, but SABRE prefers it to be the other way.

        From: Sean Forman <sean-forman@ baseball- reference. com>
        To: "Baseball Databank" <baseball-databank@ yahoogroups. com>
        Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 12:51 PM

        I've made good progress on the BDB update for this year and should have something soon.

        I'm adding an Appearances table with the following schema (this will have data from 1973 on for the AL and 1974 on for the NL).  Corresponding to complete retrosheet data for the NL and the start of the DH for the AL.

        I'm open to suggestions, but in Batting, I think I'm going to put an entry in for every player who played and then  add a column G_bat that will show how many games they appeared in the lineup, so pre-Interleague AL pitchers will have their games pitches in G and then 0 for G_bat and nulls for the values of the batting stats.

        Feedback?

        sean

        CREATE TABLE `Appearances` (
          `yearID` smallint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
          `teamID` char(3) NOT NULL default '',
          `lgID` char(2) default NULL,
          `playerID` char(9) NOT NULL default '',
          `G_all` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_batting` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_defense` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_p` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_c` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_1b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_2b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_3b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_ss` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_lf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_cf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_rf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_of` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_dh` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_ph` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          `G_pr` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
          PRIMARY KEY  (`yearID`,`teamID` ,`playerID` )
        ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

        President, Sports Reference LLC
        http://www.sports- reference. com/

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
          Who is "SABRE", and can you cite their reasoning?

          Tom