2008 Update this week or early next

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
      I've made good progress on the BDB update for this year and should have something soon.

      I'm adding an Appearances table with the following schema (this will have data from 1973 on for the AL and 1974 on for the NL).  Corresponding to complete retrosheet data for the NL and the start of the DH for the AL.

      I'm open to suggestions, but in Batting, I think I'm going to put an entry in for every player who played and then  add a column G_bat that will show how many games they appeared in the lineup, so pre-Interleague AL pitchers will have their games pitches in G and then 0 for G_bat and nulls for the values of the batting stats.

      Feedback?

      sean

      CREATE TABLE `Appearances` (
        `yearID` smallint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
        `teamID` char(3) NOT NULL default '',
        `lgID` char(2) default NULL,
        `playerID` char(9) NOT NULL default '',
        `G_all` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_batting` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_defense` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_p` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_c` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_1b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_2b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_3b` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_ss` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_lf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_cf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_rf` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_of` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_dh` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_ph` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        `G_pr` tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY  (`yearID`,`teamID`,`playerID`)
      ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

      President, Sports Reference LLC
      http://www.sports-reference.com/
    • Matthew Gargano
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
        Sean:

        That schema sounds great to me.

        Just a quick question - I did some research and searched the Yahoo! group and couldn't find the answer to this.  There are some players that are missing InnOuts in the Fielding table (Moises Alou for the late 90's for example) and ZR (Jeff Keppinger for 2007 for example).

        Are these data available in full?  Will they be in the newest release?  Did I just have a bad copy of the DB?  I noticed that (for Fielding) InnOuts are on Baseball-Reference so it must be somewhere.

        Let me know.

        I appreciate all of the work!

        Thanks,

        Matthew Gargano
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
          I think we've discussed having an appearance or roster table before, and talked about it as a very good idea.

          I'm less clear about the need for the Batting Table Changes, given the Appearance Table seems to take care of the G_Bat issue for AL pitchers.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
            On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...> wrote:

            I think we've discussed having an appearance or roster table before, and talked about it as a very good idea.

            I'm less clear about the need for the Batting Table Changes, given the Appearance Table seems to take care of the G_Bat issue for AL pitchers.

            I see this as backwards compatibility.  I know that lost of people use the tables as is and historically G has been all games played.  This will leave Batting as listing all players, but also give an easy means to filter out the non-batting lineup players if desired.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
              It is usually desirable to go vertically, than horizontally, like so:

              You can create more codes, without altering the number of columns.  So, you can include stuff like batting order and the like.  From there, you can always convert the subset you need to map horizontally.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
                You can do it that way, but SABRE prefers it to be the other way.

                It is usually desirable to go vertically, than horizontally, like so:
                http://sports. groups.yahoo. com/group/ baseball- databank/ message/3606

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Who is "SABRE", and can you cite their reasoning?

                  Tom