Re: [baseball-databank] 2007 records missing...

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2008
      We've longed discussed the idea of an APPEARANCES table, so that it
      captures exactly what it's supposed to capture, rather than taking over
      the BATTING table just because the official rules say to use it. (DBAs
      follow the data, not the legal definitions of names.)

      The APPEARANCES table would give us the total number of games played,
      games started, games finished, and potentially further broken down by
      fielding position and lineup position. So, you could have:

      playerID, appearCode, appearSubcode, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, 0, 0, 141, 147, 142
      raineti01, fld, 7, 141, 141, 140
      raineti01, fld, 8, 0, 8, 2
      raineti01, bat, 1, 140, 140, 139
      raineti01, bat, 3, 1, 1, 1
      raineti01, bat, 7, 0, 6, 2

      Something like that. So, for your purposes, you would select on
      appearCode = 0.

      Or, if that's too complicated, we'd have an APPEARANCES table like this:
      playerID, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, 141, 147, 142

      And an APPEARANCES_SPLIT table like this:
      playerID, appearCode, appearSubcode, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, fld, 7, 141, 141, 140
      raineti01, fld, 8, 0, 8, 2
      raineti01, bat, 1, 140, 140, 139
      raineti01, bat, 3, 1, 1, 1
      raineti01, bat, 7, 0, 6, 2

      Regardless, I do not have an answer for your original question.

      Tom
    • hackersdienow
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2008
        That's the way I would approach it as well if I were the guy doing the
        building of the DB...I highly recommend Lahman/Forman work toward that
        goal. It sounds like you're saying, however, that there are no plans
        to make the batting table rules consistent...which means I should be
        telling our web search/sort builder to prepare other methods for
        fixing the irregularities. Do I have that correct?
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
          > That's the way I would approach it as well if I were the guy doing the
          > building of the DB...I highly recommend Lahman/Forman work toward that
          > goal. It sounds like you're saying, however, that there are no plans
          > to make the batting table rules consistent...which means I should be
          > telling our web search/sort builder to prepare other methods for
          > fixing the irregularities. Do I have that correct?

          There are no current plans, that's correct. How/when this will be
          rectified is undetermined.

        • hackersdienow
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
            OK...thanks Tom.

            I'm going to ask our web coder to McGuyver an appearances
            table...that's the correct way to normalize the database anyway.