minor inconsistancies - team HR counts, Ideas?

  • mmc_cann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2008
      Using the query:

      mysql> select yearID sum(HR) from Teams where lgID =
      "AL" group by yearID;

      I am puzzeling over some small incosistancies between the number of
      Home Runs, (Americal League only so far,) returned from the databank
      compared to the numbers printed in the Sporting News. (I still use
      the 1997 record book.) Though the data since 1933 IS consistant,
      the data prior to 1933 has some niggiling inconsistancies apparent.

      Home Runs Amer. Lg.
      Small Discrepancies

      Year Data Sport. Diff.
      Bank News
      1901 228 226 2
      1902 258 256 2
      1903 184 182 2
      1904 156 153 3
      1905 156 159 -3
      1906 137 135 2
      1907 104 101 3
      1908 116 115 1
      1909 109 109 0
      1910 147 145 2
      1911 198 193 5
      1912 156 149 7
      1913 159 158 1
      1914 148 148 0
      1915 160 159 1
      1916 144 144 0
      1917 133 133 0
      1918 96 97 -1
      1919 240 241 -1
      1920 369 370 -1
      1921 477 477 0
      1922 525 524 1
      1923 442 441 1
      1924 397 396 1
      1925 533 533 0
      1926 424 424 0
      1927 439 439 0
      1928 483 483 0
      1929 595 596 -1
      1930 673 673 0
      1931 576 576 0
      1932 707 708 -1
      1933 607 608 -1

      The footnotes for the Sporting News data are admittedly complex. S.
      N. follows the franchises. The BALtamore column includes St. Louis
      data for the early years etc.
      I have posted a CSV spreadsheet, "HRal.csv," of 1901 thru 2007, data
      at Sandlot Anna Lytics (google.groups.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 24, 2008

        Not sure, but for HR's, we need to use the SABR Home Run Log for comparison, as it's the absolute most accurate source for HR's, and not the Sporting News publications.

        THANKS,

        KJOK