zeros better than NULLs in pre-classification SF, SH columns?

  • mmc_cann
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21 8:42 AM
      Hi,

      Working mostly with MySQL type baseball-databank files, I haven't been
      able to figure why sometimes SF's are zero and sometimes NULL in the
      pre-1954 entries of the Batting table of the database.

      Was about that time, 1954, that scoring rules changed? Sacrifice
      Flys, and Sacrifice Hits, SF and SH, (since '54,) are excepted from
      At-Bats, AB's... Prior they were included... Trans boundary counts
      require different handling... I think it might be better to make the
      "no entry default" a "0" i.e. a "zero" rather than a "NULL."

      Ideas?

      cactusmitch:)
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2008
        They are zero because those players had zero AB's and therefore had to have zero SF.  In cases where AB > 0 we don't know how many SF they had.

        sean

        On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:42 AM, mmc_cann <mmc_cann@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        Working mostly with MySQL type baseball-databank files, I haven't been
        able to figure why sometimes SF's are zero and sometimes NULL in the
        pre-1954 entries of the Batting table of the database.

        Was about that time, 1954, that scoring rules changed? Sacrifice
        Flys, and Sacrifice Hits, SF and SH, (since '54,) are excepted from
        At-Bats, AB's... Prior they were included... Trans boundary counts
        require different handling... I think it might be better to make the
        "no entry default" a "0" i.e. a "zero" rather than a "NULL."

        Ideas?

        cactusmitch:)

        President, Sports Reference LLC
        http://www.sports-reference.com/
      • Donald Parke
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2008
          Sean, excuse me but SF's aren't counted as AB's - at least by today's standards.

          Don Parke...

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2008
            Sean, never mind - I didn't read all your mail correctly,  Sorry, don...

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2008
              On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Donald Parke <parketx@...> wrote:
              > Sean, excuse me but SF's aren't counted as AB's - at least by today's
              > standards.

              But they used to be, so Sean is correct.

              TT
              --
              drarbiter@... - AMDG
              Chadwick: Open Source Tools for Baseball Play-by-Play --