zeros better than NULLs in pre-classification SF, SH columns?

  • mmc_cann
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
      Hi,

      Working mostly with MySQL type baseball-databank files, I haven't been
      able to figure why sometimes SF's are zero and sometimes NULL in the
      pre-1954 entries of the Batting table of the database.

      Was about that time, 1954, that scoring rules changed? Sacrifice
      Flys, and Sacrifice Hits, SF and SH, (since '54,) are excepted from
      At-Bats, AB's... Prior they were included... Trans boundary counts
      require different handling... I think it might be better to make the
      "no entry default" a "0" i.e. a "zero" rather than a "NULL."

      Ideas?

      cactusmitch:)
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
        > Hi,
        >
        > Working mostly with MySQL type baseball-databank files, I haven't been
        > able to figure why sometimes SF's are zero and sometimes NULL in the
        > pre-1954 entries of the Batting table of the database.
        >
        > Was about that time, 1954, that scoring rules changed? Sacrifice
        > Flys, and Sacrifice Hits, SF and SH, (since '54,) are excepted from
        > At-Bats, AB's... Prior they were included... Trans boundary counts
        > require different handling... I think it might be better to make the
        > "no entry default" a "0" i.e. a "zero" rather than a "NULL."

        The basic rule is that if something is unknown or a measure wasn't tracked
        at that time, then you should see NULL. If something simply didn't happen
        but was being tracked, it should be 0 (zero). Anything that doesn't
        follow this is likely in error.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2008
          They are zero because those players had zero AB's and therefore had to have zero SF.  In cases where AB > 0 we don't know how many SF they had.

          sean

          On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:42 AM, mmc_cann <mmc_cann@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          Working mostly with MySQL type baseball-databank files, I haven't been
          able to figure why sometimes SF's are zero and sometimes NULL in the
          pre-1954 entries of the Batting table of the database.

          Was about that time, 1954, that scoring rules changed? Sacrifice
          Flys, and Sacrifice Hits, SF and SH, (since '54,) are excepted from
          At-Bats, AB's... Prior they were included... Trans boundary counts
          require different handling... I think it might be better to make the
          "no entry default" a "0" i.e. a "zero" rather than a "NULL."

          Ideas?

          cactusmitch:)

          President, Sports Reference LLC
          http://www.sports-reference.com/
        • Donald Parke
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2008
            Sean, excuse me but SF's aren't counted as AB's - at least by today's standards.

            Don Parke...

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2008
              Sean, never mind - I didn't read all your mail correctly,  Sorry, don...

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2008
                On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Donald Parke <parketx@...> wrote:
                > Sean, excuse me but SF's aren't counted as AB's - at least by today's
                > standards.

                But they used to be, so Sean is correct.

                TT
                --
                drarbiter@... - AMDG
                Chadwick: Open Source Tools for Baseball Play-by-Play --