retroID in the mater table

  • park96
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
      I was wondering where to get the data which maps the playerID in the
      Master table to the retroID data? Basically, I wanted to cross
      reference the play by play data from retrosheet with the Master table
      but am unable to do this without the retroID. Is there some simple
      algorithm for obtaining the retroID from the name? I ask this since
      the number at the end of the retroID doesn't always seem to be
      sequential and if two players with the same first 5 letters in the
      last name and first initial appear in the same year, how are they ordered?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      s.park
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
        The RetroID *is* in the MASTER table (look all the way at the end). I
        think it's missing for the 2007 rookies.

        Tom
      • Sang Park
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
          Hi Tom,

          I guess that was my question.  How do we map the 2007 rookies to a RetroID so that we can map the play by play data from retrosheet over onto the Master table in the BDB schema?

          Sang

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
            The easiest, thought not fastest, way is to wait for the next release (no
            date on that).

            I also think that Ted Turocy recently posted the link of Retro/BDB ids for
            the 2007 rookies. Check the archives from Nov or Dec.

            Tom

            > Hi Tom,
            >
            > I guess that was my question. How do we map the 2007 rookies to a
            > RetroID so that we can map the play by play data from retrosheet over
            > onto the Master table in the BDB schema?
            >
            > Sang
            >
            > On Jan 17, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Tangotiger wrote:
            >
            >> The RetroID *is* in the MASTER table (look all the way at the end). I
            >> think it's missing for the 2007 rookies.
            >>
            >> Tom

          • Theodore Turocy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
              On Jan 17, 2008 2:22 PM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:

              The easiest, thought not fastest, way is to wait for the next release (no
              date on that).

              I also think that Ted Turocy recently posted the link of Retro/BDB ids for
              the 2007 rookies. Check the archives from Nov or Dec.

              Alas, no, I don't have that, because, I've been relying on databank for that concordance in my database. :)

              Surely, someone in this group must have done this as a byproduct of something they're working on?

              Ted
              --
              drarbiter@... - AMDG
              Chadwick: Open Source Tools for Baseball Play-by-Play -- http://chadwick.sourceforge.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                I would do it myself but am unsure as to the naming convention used for the retroID.  For instance, when I look at
                Julio Gonalez, his retroID is gonzj101.  The 101 throws me a bit.  Does anyone have any documentation on this?  I can write a little script to figure this out but I would need to know the naming convention a little better.

                Sang

                On Jan 17, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Theodore Turocy wrote:

                On Jan 17, 2008 2:22 PM, Tangotiger <tom@tangotiger. net> wrote:

                The easiest, thought not fastest, way is to wait for the next release (no
                date on that).

                I also think that Ted Turocy recently posted the link of Retro/BDB ids for
                the 2007 rookies. Check the archives from Nov or Dec.

                Alas, no, I don't have that, because, I've been relying on databank for that concordance in my database. :)

                Surely, someone in this group must have done this as a byproduct of something they're working on?

                Ted
                --
                drarbiter@gmail. com - AMDG
                Chadwick: Open Source Tools for Baseball Play-by-Play -- http://chadwick. sourceforge. net

              • Rod Nelson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                  RETROID bbrefID FIRSTNAME LASTNAME
                  abret001 abreuto01 Tony Abreu
                  acosm001 acostma01 Manny Acosta
                  albaj001 albaljo01 Jonathan Albaladejo
                  andej004 anderjo03 Josh Anderson
                  ariaa002 ariasal02 Alberto Arias
                  ascaj001 ascanjo01 Jose Ascanio
                  bailh001 baileho02 Homer Bailey
                  bailj001 baileje01 Jeff Bailey
                  balew001 balenwl01 Wladimir Balentien
                  bankj001 banksjo01 Josh Banks
                  bardb001 bardebr01 Brian Barden
                  barks001 barkese01 Sean Barker
                  barod001 baronda01 Daniel Barone
                  bartd001 bartoda02 Daric Barton
                  basac001 basakch01 Chris Basak
                  belle002 belloed01 Edwin Bellorin
                  bisej001 bisenjo01 Joe Bisenius
                  blacn001 blackni01 Nick Blackburn
                  blevj001 blevije01 Jerry Blevins
                  bonie001 bonifem01 Emilio Bonifacio
                  bradd002 bradeda01 Dallas Braden
                  braur002 braunry02 Ryan Braun
                  broal001 broadla01 Lance Broadway
                  browm006 brownma05 Matthew Brown
                  buchc001 buchhcl01 Clay Buchholz
                  buckt001 bucktr01 Travis Buck
                  buckb002 bucknbi02 Billy Buckner
                  buddr001 buddery01 Ryan Budde
                  burtj001 burtoja01 Jared Burton
                  buscb001 buschbr01 Brian Buscher
                  butlb003 butlebi03 Billy Butler
                  cabra002 cabreas01 Asdrubal Cabrera
                  camek001 camerke01 Kevin Cameron
                  carrb001 carrobr01 Brett Carroll
                  cassj001 casseja01 Jack Cassel
                  castk001 castoko01 Kory Casto
                  catet001 catetr01 Troy Cate
                  cavaa001 cavazan01 Andy Cavazos
                  chamj002 chambjo03 Joba Chamberlain
                  cherr001 cherrro01 Rocky Cherry
                  chicm001 chicoma01 Matt Chico
                  clard003 clarkda06 Darren Clarke
                  clemj001 clemeje01 Jeff Clement
                  clipt001 clippty01 Tyler Clippard
                  collw001 collawi01 Willie Collazo
                  coutl001 coutljo01 Jon Coutlangus
                  dankj001 danksjo01 John Danks
                  david003 davidda01 Dave Davidson
                  day-d001 dayde01 Dewon Day
                  deaza001 deazaal01 Alejandro de Aza
                  dejoj001 dejonjo01 Jordan De Jong
                  delae001 delaceu01 Eulogio de la Cruz
                  depaj003 depauju01 Julio DePaula
                  desam001 desalma01 Matt DeSalvo
                  detwr001 detwiro01 Ross Detwiler
                  doved001 dovede01 Dennis Dove
                  doync001 doyneco01 Cory Doyne
                  dukee001 dukesel01 Elijah Dukes
                  dumap001 dumatph01 Phil Dumatrait
                  duncs001 duncash01 Shelley Duncan
                  ellsj001 ellsbja01 Jacoby Ellsbury
                  escoy001 escobyu01 Yunel Escobar
                  espob001 esposbr01 Brian Esposito
                  evant002 evanste01 Terry Evans
                  florj002 floreje02 Jesus Flores
                  fox-j001 foxja02 Jake Fox
                  franb001 francbe01 Ben Francisco
                  fulds001 fuldsa01 Sam Fuld
                  galaa002 galarar01 Armando Galarraga
                  galls001 gallase01 Sean Gallagher
                  gally001 gallayo01 Yovani Gallardo
                  garca002 garcian01 Anderson Garcia
                  garch001 garciha01 Harvey Garcia
                  giesd001 gieseda01 Dan Giese
                  gomec002 gomezca01 Carlos Gomez
                  gonza005 gonzaal03 Alberto Gonzalez
                  gonza004 gonzaan01 Andy Gonzalez
                  gorda001 gordoal01 Alex Gordon
                  gornn001 gorneni01 Nick Gorneault
                  gronl001 gronkle01 Lee Gronkiewicz
                  gutij002 gutieju01 Juan Gutierrez
                  gwynm001 gwynma01 Marcus Gwyn
                  hamij003 hamiljo03 Josh Hamilton
                  hanir001 hanigry01 Ryan Hanigan
                  hanrj001 hanrajo01 Joel Hanrahan
                  happj001 happja01 J.A. Happ
                  hartk001 hartke01 Kevin Hart
                  haynn001 haynena01 Nathan Haynes
                  headc001 headlch01 Chase Headley
                  hernl004 hernalu01 Luis Hernandez
                  herny001 hernayo01 Yoel Hernandez
                  hochl001 hochelu01 Luke Hochevar
                  hu--c001 huch01 Chin-Lung Hu
                  hughp001 hugheph01 Phil Hughes
                  hulle001 huller01 Eric Hull
                  igawk001 igawake01 Kei Igawa
                  iwama001 iwamuak01 Akinori Iwamura
                  jimek001 jimenke01 Kelvin Jimenez
                  johnr009 johnsro07 Rob Johnson
                  joneb005 jonesbr02 Brandon Jones
                  joneg002 jonesga02 Garrett Jones
                  jurrj001 jurrjja01 Jair Jurrjens
                  kelld001 kellydo01 Don Kelly
                  kendk001 kendrky01 Kyle Kendrick
                  kenni001 kenneia01 Ian Kennedy
                  koshj001 koshajo01 Joe Koshansky
                  kuwam001 kuwatma01 Masumi Kuwata
                  laffa001 laffeaa01 Aaron Laffey
                  lannj001 lannajo01 John Lannan
                  laroa002 larocan01 Andy LaRoche
                  lewij003 lewisje01 Jensen Lewis
                  linct001 linceti01 Tim Lincecum
                  lindm001 lindsma01 Matt Lindstrom
                  litsj001 litscje01 Jesse Litsch
                  liz-r001 lizra01 Radhames Liz
                  lucyd001 lucydo01 Donny Lucy
                  macid001 maciadr01 Drew Macias
                  mahak001 maharke01 Kevin Mahar
                  marsj001 marshja01 Jay Marshall
                  matsd001 matsuda01 Daisuke Matsuzaka
                  maxwj002 maxweju01 Justin Maxwell
                  maybc001 maybica01 Cameron Maybin
                  mcbem001 mcbetma01 Marcus McBeth
                  mcclz001 mccleza01 Zach McClellan
                  mclem003 mclemma02 Mark McLemore
                  melik001 melilke01 Kevin Melillo
                  meloj002 meloajo01 Jonathan Meloan
                  mendl001 mendolu01 Luis Mendoza
                  metct001 metcatr01 Travis Metcalf
                  millj003 milleja03 Jason Miller
                  molig002 molingu01 Gustavo Molina
                  moraf001 moralfr01 Franklin Morales
                  moraj002 moraljo02 Jose Morales
                  morgn001 morgany01 Nyjer Morgan
                  morrb001 morrobr01 Brandon Morrow
                  mortc001 mortoco01 Colt Morton
                  mossb001 mossbr01 Brandon Moss
                  munic001 munizca01 Carlos Muniz
                  murpb001 murphbi02 Bill Murphy
                  murra001 murraaj01 A.J. Murray
                  mussn001 mussene01 Neal Musser
                  newmj002 newmajo01 Josh Newman
                  ohler001 ohlenro01 Ross Ohlendorf
                  okajh001 okajihi01 Hideki Okajima
                  olsog003 olsonga01 Garrett Olson
                  owinm001 owingmi01 Micah Owings
                  parrm001 parrama01 Manny Parra
                  patte001 patteer01 Eric Patterson
                  pattt001 pattotr01 Troy Patton
                  paulf001 paulife01 Felipe Paulino
                  pears001 pearcst01 Steven Pearce
                  peguj002 pegueja01 Jailen Peguero
                  pench001 pencehu01 Hunter Pence
                  petrb002 petribi01 Billy Petrick
                  philh001 phillhe01 Heath Phillips
                  pie-f001 piefe01 Felix Pie
                  pignc001 pignaca01 Carmen Pignatiello
                  putnd001 putnada01 Danny Putnam
                  ramie003 ramired01 Edwar Ramirez
                  rapac001 rapadcl01 Clay Rapada
                  reyej003 reyesjo03 Jo-Jo Reyes
                  reynm001 reynoma01 Mark Reynolds
                  richd001 richada02 Danny Richar
                  ridgj001 ridgwje01 Jeff Ridgway
                  robec002 roberco01 Connor Robertson
                  rodrg001 rodrigu01 Guillermo Rodriguez
                  rowlr002 rowlary01 Ryan Rowland-Smith
                  ruggj001 ruggiju01 Justin Ruggiano
                  ryanb002 ryanbr01 Brendan Ryan
                  salmb001 salmobr01 Brad Salmon
                  saltj001 saltaja01 Jarrod Saltalamacchia
                  sammc001 sammocl01 Clint Sammons
                  sancr002 sanchro01 Romulo Sanchez
                  sardb001 sardibr01 Bronson Sardinha
                  schin001 schiena01 Nate Schierholtz
                  schum001 schulmi02 Mike Schultz
                  seddc001 seddoch01 Chris Seddon
                  segoz001 segovza01 Zack Segovia
                  sheat001 shearto01 Tom Shearn
                  slowk001 sloweke01 Kevin Slowey
                  smitj002 smithjo05 Joe Smith
                  smits002 smithse01 Seth Smith
                  sonna001 sonnaan01 Andy Sonnanstine
                  sorij001 soriajo01 Joakim Soria
                  speil001 speigle01 Levale Speigner
                  stanc001 stanscr01 Craig Stansberry
                  stetm001 stettmi01 Mitch Stetter
                  stewi001 stewaia01 Ian Stewart
                  stocm001 stockme01 Mel Stocker
                  suzuk001 suzukku01 Kurt Suzuki
                  thatj001 thatcjo01 Joe Thatcher
                  thigc001 thigpcu01 Curtis Thigpen
                  thomr006 thompri03 Rich Thompson
                  three001 threeer01 Erick Threets
                  towlj001 towlejr01 J.R. Towles
                  uptoj001 uptonju01 Justin Upton
                  vandr001 vanderi01 Rick VandenHurk
                  vasqv001 clevlbr01 Virgil Vasquez
                  velee001 velezeu01 Eugenio (Vancomper) Velez
                  vermj001 vermija01 Jamie Vermilyea
                  vottj001 vottojo01 Joey Votto
                  wasse001 wasseeh01 Ehren Wassermann
                  watkt001 watkito01 Tommy Watkins
                  whitb001 whitebi04 Bill White
                  whits002 whitese02 Sean White
                  wolfr002 wolfro01 Ross Wolf
                  wolfb001 wolfebr01 Brian Wolfe
                  woodb003 woodbr01 Brandon Wood
                  wrigc001 wrighch01 Chase Wright
                  zagum001 zagurmi01 Mike Zagurski
                  zaram001 zaratma01 Mauro Zarate

                  *Of my own doing, with help from Pete Palmer. Will need verification when
                  Retrosheet updates this spring.

                  Rod Nelson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008

                    > *Of my own doing, with help from Pete Palmer. Will need verification when
                    > Retrosheet updates this spring.

                    Good stuff. Retrosheet released their 2007 files a few weeks ago. You
                    should be able to verify against their .ROS file.

                    Tom
                  • Clem Comly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 18, 2008
                      Unofficially, Retro IDs are obviously first 4 letters of last name (if <4, right fill with dashes) plus first letter first name but beware commonly used nicknames or comonly used middle names plus 3 digit sequence number.  100 series are all players who concluded their playing careers before 1984.  000 series are all players active in 1984 or later.  (other series have been reserved for umpires who never played in MLB, Negro league players who never played in MLB, etc.) For new rookies, they would all be 000 series.  The exact number is 1 more than highest current player idea with same first 4 letters last name plus first letter first name.  If two rookies in very recent season have same first 4 letters last name plus first letter first name usually lower sequence number is given to the one who debuted first chronologically.

                      Clem Comly

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Nelson"
                        <rodericnelson@...> wrote:

                        > RETROID bbrefID FIRSTNAME LASTNAME
                        > coutl001 coutljo01 Jon Coutlangus
                        > vasqv001 clevlbr01 Virgil Vasquez

                        I have Coutlangus's RETROID as coutj001 and Vazquez's bbrefid as
                        vasquvi01.

                        I have also found the following errors in the RETROID column of the
                        master table:
                        PLAYERS
                        bbrefID RETROID(Table) RETROID(actual) nameFirst nameLast
                        glaseno01 glasn001 glasn101 Norman Glaser
                        kigerma01 kigem101 kigem001 Mark Kiger
                        quinnjo02 quinj101 quinj103 Joe Quinn
                        quinnpa02 quinj103 quinp103 Paddy Quinn
                        smithbi03 smitb107 schmb104 Bill Smith
                        smithbi02 smitb113 smitb107 Bill Smith
                        smithbi01 smitb106 smitb113 Bill Smith

                        MANAGERS
                        bicke99 bick801 bicku801 Bickerson
                        dayjo99 dayj801 day-j801 John Day
                        fuchsju99 fuchj801 fuche801 Judge Fuchs

                        UMPIRES
                        barlial99 barla001 barla901 Al Barlick
                        chylane99 chyln001 chyln901 Nestor Chylak
                        connoto99 connt001 connt901 Tom Connolly
                        hubbaca99 hubbc001 hubbc901 Cal Hubbard
                        klembi99 klemb001 klemb901 Bill Klem
                        mcgowbi99 mcgob001 mcgob901 Bill McGowan

                        The following players do not have a Retrosheet ID assigned as they
                        are non-major leaguers.

                        HOF Pioneers/Executives
                        bulkemo99 bulkm001 NULL Morgan Bulkeley
                        chadwhe99 chadh001 NULL Henry Chadwick
                        chandha99 chanh001 NULL Happy Chandler
                        frickfo99 fricf001 NULL Ford Frick
                        gileswa99 gilew001 NULL Warren Giles
                        hulbewi99 hulbw001 NULL William Hulbert
                        veeckbi99 veecb001 NULL Bill Veeck
                        weissge99 weisg001 NULL George Weiss
                        yawketo99 yawkt001 NULL Tom Yawkey

                        HOF Negro Leaguers
                        fosteru99 fostr001 NULL Rube Foster
                        charlos99 charo001 NULL Oscar Charleston
                        dandrra99 dandr001 NULL Ray Dandridge
                        dayle99 dayl001 NULL Leon Day
                        dihigma99 dihim001 NULL Martin Dihigo
                        fostebi99 fostb001 NULL Bill Foster
                        gibsojo99 gibsj001 NULL Josh Gibson
                        leonabu99 leonb001 NULL Buck Leonard
                        lloydjo99 lloyp001 NULL Pop Lloyd
                        roganbu99 rogab001 NULL Bullet Rogan
                        smithhi99 smith001 NULL Hilton Smith
                        steartu99 steat001 NULL Turkey Stearnes
                        wellswi99 wellw001 NULL Willie Wells

                        Also Bill Cammeyer (cammebi99) is no longer listed in the Retrosheet
                        system as they have Bill Craver as manager of the 1876 NY Mutuals.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Thanks,
                        Josh
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                          Someone, I think Rod, asked me a long while back for my list of Retro/BDB
                          mappings for the new players. This is my unofficial list:

                          playerID retroid
                          abreuto01 abret001
                          acostma01 acosm001
                          albaljo01 albaj001
                          anderjo03 andej004
                          ariasal02 ariaa002
                          ascanjo01 ascaj001
                          baileho02 bailh001
                          baileje01 bailj001
                          balenwl01 balew001
                          banksjo01 bankj001
                          bardebr01 bardb001
                          barkese01 barks001
                          baronda01 barod001
                          bartoda02 bartd001
                          basakch01 basac001
                          belloed01 belle002
                          bisenjo01 bisej001
                          blackni01 blacn001
                          blevije01 blevj001
                          bonifem01 bonie001
                          bradeda01 bradd002
                          braunry02 braur002
                          broadla01 broal001
                          brownma05 browm006
                          buchhcl01 buchc001
                          bucknbi02 buckb002
                          bucktr01 buckt001
                          buddery01 buddr001
                          burtoja01 burtj001
                          buschbr01 buscb001
                          butlebi03 butlb003
                          cabreas01 cabra002
                          camerke01 camek001
                          carrobr01 carrb001
                          casseja01 cassj001
                          castoko01 castk001
                          catetr01 catet001
                          cavazan01 cavaa001
                          chambjo03 chamj002
                          cherrro01 cherr001
                          chicoma01 chicm001
                          clarkda06 clard003
                          clemeje01 clemj001
                          clippty01 clipt001
                          collawi01 collw001
                          coutljo01 coutj001
                          danksjo01 dankj001
                          davidda01 david003
                          dayde01 day-d001
                          deazaal01 deaza001
                          dejonjo01 dejoj001
                          delaceu01 delae001
                          depauju01 depaj003
                          desalma01 desam001
                          detwiro01 detwr001
                          dovede01 doved001
                          doyneco01 doync001
                          dukesel01 dukee001
                          dumatph01 dumap001
                          duncash01 duncs001
                          ellsbja01 ellsj001
                          escobyu01 escoy001
                          esposbr01 espob001
                          evanste01 evant002
                          floreje02 florj002
                          foxja02 fox-j001
                          francbe01 franb001
                          fuldsa01 fulds001
                          galarar01 galaa002
                          gallase01 galls001
                          gallayo01 gally001
                          garcian01 garca002
                          garciha01 garch001
                          gieseda01 giesd001
                          gomezca01 gomec002
                          gonzaal03 gonza005
                          gonzaan01 gonza004
                          gordoal01 gorda001
                          gorneni01 gornn001
                          gronkle01 gronl001
                          gutieju01 gutij002
                          gwynma01 gwynm001
                          hamiljo03 hamij003
                          hanigry01 hanir001
                          hanrajo01 hanrj001
                          happja01 happj001
                          hartke01 hartk001
                          haynena01 haynn001
                          headlch01 headc001
                          hernalu01 hernl004
                          hernayo01 herny001
                          hochelu01 hochl001
                          huch01 hu--c001
                          hugheph01 hughp001
                          huller01 hulle001
                          igawake01 igawk001
                          iwamuak01 iwama001
                          jimenke01 jimek001
                          johnsro07 johnr009
                          jonesbr02 joneb005
                          jonesga02 joneg002
                          jurrjja01 jurrj001
                          kellydo01 kelld001
                          kendrky01 kendk001
                          kenneia01 kenni001
                          koshajo01 koshj001
                          kuwatma01 kuwam001
                          laffeaa01 laffa001
                          lannajo01 lannj001
                          larocan01 laroa002
                          lewisje01 lewij003
                          linceti01 linct001
                          lindsma01 lindm001
                          litscje01 litsj001
                          lizra01 liz-r001
                          lucydo01 lucyd001
                          maciadr01 macid001
                          maharke01 mahak001
                          marshja01 marsj001
                          matsuda01 matsd001
                          maxweju01 maxwj002
                          maybica01 maybc001
                          mcbetma01 mcbem001
                          mccleza01 mcclz001
                          mclemma02 mclem003
                          melilke01 melik001
                          meloajo01 meloj002
                          mendolu01 mendl001
                          metcatr01 metct001
                          milleja03 millj003
                          molingu01 molig002
                          moralfr01 moraf001
                          moraljo02 moraj002
                          morgany01 morgn001
                          morrobr01 morrb001
                          mortoco01 mortc001
                          mossbr01 mossb001
                          munizca01 munic001
                          murphbi02 murpb001
                          murraaj01 murra001
                          mussene01 mussn001
                          newmajo01 newmj002
                          ohlenro01 ohler001
                          okajihi01 okajh001
                          olsonga01 olsog003
                          owingmi01 owinm001
                          parrama01 parrm001
                          patteer01 patte001
                          pattotr01 pattt001
                          paulife01 paulf001
                          pearcst01 pears001
                          pegueja01 peguj002
                          pencehu01 pench001
                          petribi01 petrb002
                          phillhe01 philh001
                          piefe01 pie-f001
                          pignaca01 pignc001
                          putnada01 putnd001
                          ramired01 ramie003
                          rapadcl01 rapac001
                          reyesjo03 reyej003
                          reynoma01 reynm001
                          richada02 richd001
                          ridgwje01 ridgj001
                          roberco01 robec002
                          rodrigu01 rodrg001
                          rowlary01 rowlr002
                          ruggiju01 ruggj001
                          ryanbr01 ryanb002
                          salmobr01 salmb001
                          saltaja01 saltj001
                          sammocl01 sammc001
                          sanchro01 sancr002
                          sardibr01 sardb001
                          schiena01 schin001
                          schulmi02 schum001
                          seddoch01 seddc001
                          segovza01 segoz001
                          shearto01 sheat001
                          sloweke01 slowk001
                          smithjo05 smitj002
                          smithse01 smits002
                          sonnaan01 sonna001
                          soriajo01 sorij001
                          speigle01 speil001
                          stanscr01 stanc001
                          stettmi01 stetm001
                          stewaia01 stewi001
                          stockme01 stocm001
                          suzukku01 suzuk001
                          thatcjo01 thatj001
                          thigpcu01 thigc001
                          thompri03 thomr006
                          threeer01 three001
                          towlejr01 towlj001
                          uptonju01 uptoj001
                          vanderi01 vandr001
                          vasquvi01 vasqv001
                          velezeu01 velee001
                          vermija01 vermj001
                          vottojo01 vottj001
                          wasseeh01 wasse001
                          watkito01 watkt001
                          whitebi04 whitb001
                          whitese02 whits002
                          wolfebr01 wolfb001
                          wolfro01 wolfr002
                          woodbr01 woodb003
                          wrighch01 wrigc001
                          zagurmi01 zagum001
                          zaratma01 zaram001

                          Tom
                        • tangotiger
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 30, 2008
                            For those interested, do this:
                            1. Take the data below, and create a table called MasterRookies, with
                            two fields (playerID, retroID), and copy the data into that table.
                            It's a snap in Access.

                            2. Run this:
                            UPDATE Master
                            INNER JOIN MasterRookies
                            ON Master.playerID = MasterRookies.playerID
                            SET Master.retroID = [masterRookies].[retroid];

                            That will update your MASTER table. That's in Access. Some DBMS
                            won't let you do the join on the UPDATE. In that case, you have to
                            use a WHERE EXISTS clause. It'll be something like:
                            UPDATE Master
                            SET Master.retroID = (
                            SELECT retroid
                            FROM MasterRookies
                            WHERE Master.playerID = MasterRookies.playerID
                            )
                            WHERE EXISTS (
                            SELECT retroid
                            FROM MasterRookies
                            WHERE Master.playerID = MasterRookies.playerID
                            )

                            I didn't test that last one, but that should work. It's kinda silly,
                            and maybe someone can offer something better.

                            Tom