Baseball-DataBank.org vs. Lahman 5.5

  • Tony Robran
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I wasn't able to find the answer on the site or FAQ, but what is the different between the Baseball-Databank database and the Lahman database?  Looking at the table schema it looks like it's the same database, but when looking at some of the table data there seems to be additional information in the Baseball-Databank DB.

      Thanks,
      Tony
    • Sean Lahman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        > I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I wasn't able to
        > find the answer on the site or FAQ, but what is the different
        > between the Baseball-Databank database and the Lahman database?

        Not a dumb question. The underlying data is the same, as are the
        table structures. The Lahman database is distributed primarily in MS
        Access format, while the BDB database resides in SQL.

        The Baseball Databank grew out of discussions that Sean Forman and I
        were having around 2000-2001 about how to organize the volunteers who
        want to maintain and improve the database. The members of the group
        collectively do the work of updating the data and structure.

        In general, I think most of the hardcore number crunchers and
        programmers work with the SQL version, while the larger audience uses
        the Access database. Additionally, the Acesss and CSV versions at my
        website are used with third-party applications, such as user-friendly
        database interfaces like Randy Myers' BSS or with baseball sims, like
        Baseball Mogul or Out of the Park Baseball.

        A couple of the recently added tables (eg, schools, xref) in the BDB
        database aren't in the Lahman database. But other than that, the
        Lahman database and the BDB database are the same thing, just in
        different formats.

      • Andrew E Dolphin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
          > A couple of the recently added tables (eg, schools, xref) in the BDB
          > database aren't in the Lahman database. But other than that, the
          > Lahman database and the BDB database are the same thing, just in
          > different formats.

          Is this something that may be addressed in the future?  I prefer the CSV files to SQL personally, since they're platform independent...

          Thanks,
            Andy Dolphin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
            >> A couple of the recently added tables (eg, schools, xref) in the BDB
            >> database aren't in the Lahman database. But other than that, the
            >> Lahman database and the BDB database are the same thing, just in
            >> different formats.
            >
            > Is this something that may be addressed in the future? I prefer the CSV
            > files to SQL personally, since they're platform independent...
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Andy Dolphin

            The BDB files are csv and SQL:
            http://baseball-databank.org/files/

            I always use the csv files, and import them into my database.

            The Lahman database is set up for csv and Access:
            http://baseball1.com/content/view/57/82/