2007 update

  • pkreutzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2007
      Conversation on this mailing list has gotten pretty spotty, and I was
      wondering if there is any plan for an updated BD database? I've got
      hitters and pitchers pretty much together, but don't have updated
      biographical data, fielding or postseason. I'm glad to pitch in, but
      how is this thing now coordinated?

      Best,
      Peter Kreutzer
    • Keith Hemmelman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2007
        There's actually an updated database posted at http://www.baseball-databank.org/  I noticed it the other day.  I'm not sure if it's the final release for this year or not.

        I was going through importing it into my Access database and noticed that it's missing the 2007 AL & NL MVP voting results, the 2007 Branch Rickey award winner, the 2007 Roberto Clemente award winner, the 2007 AL & NL Hank Aaron award winners, and all the 2007 players that were All Stars.  Not sure if there's a Rolaids Relief award this year or not?  I see there was a DHL Major League "Delivery Man of the Year" award, won by Jonathan Papelbon.  Does anyone know if this DHL award replaced the Rolaids Relief award?

        The missing award winners can all be manually updated though, as you just have to manually update each table with the correct info.

        The 2007 Roberto Clemente award winner was Craig Biggio - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/community/clemente.jsp

        The 2007 Branch Rickey award winner was John Smoltz - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3035785

        I also wonder if the next version will contain entries in the Master table for the recently completed 2008 HOF Veterans vote where 5 individuals were voted into the Hall.  And actually there's multiple names that could be added to the Master table so a HOFID could be added to allow us to update the HOF table with more complete data.

        Keith Hemmelman

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2007
          On Dec 9, 2007 9:15 PM, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@...> wrote:

          There's actually an updated database posted at http://www.baseball-databank.org/  I noticed it the other day.  I'm not sure if it's the final release for this year or not.

          I haven't compared the numerical data in the new version with other sources yet. However, if anyone does use that version, there's a couple things to know about the 2007 data:

          (1) AL pitchers who didn't bat don't have lines in the Batting table;
          (2) Stint IDs don't match up in all cases between the Batting table and the Pitching and Fielding tables.  Most (all?) of these are related to the missing records in (1).

          I noticed this last week while updating my own database with new player IDs for the 2007 debuts.

          Ted
          --
          drarbiter@... - AMDG
          Chadwick: Open Source Tools for Baseball Play-by-Play -- http://chadwick.sourceforge.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
            > There's actually an updated database posted at
            > http://www.baseball-databank.org/ I noticed it the other day. I'm not
            > sure
            > if it's the final release for this year or not.

            That is a Beta release. It has a couple of minor slight errors that will
            be corrected by the time the main release is announced. (From what I
            remember, there's an invalid "final game date" in one Master field, one of
            the text files has an invalid end of file record, and Roland Hemond is not
            a player. )

            As for missing awards, the file was posted just prior to some of the major
            award announcements, so that explains that.

            As for the "BATTING" table. The original intent of the BATTING table from
            years ago was to match the Official rules (all games goes in the Batting
            record, even if they didn't come to bat). Since our release is a
            Developer/Admin release (not end user), we are not constrained by these
            business rules. Eventually, we will have a ROSTER or APPEARANCE table,
            which will properly catalogue all the games played. From this Admin
            table, you'll be able to generate the data as you see fit, including an
            "Official rules" version.

            Tom
          • dsreyn
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2007
              I don't mean to be a complainer, but in case this has inadvertently
              slipped through the cracks - some of the postseason data is incomplete
              for recent seasons. Specifically, BattingPost and PitchingPost both
              have a bunch of null entries for 2005, 2006, and 2007 (differing
              fields depending on the specific year).

              Doug

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2007
                > I don't mean to be a complainer, but in case this has inadvertently
                > slipped through the cracks - some of the postseason data is incomplete
                > for recent seasons. Specifically, BattingPost and PitchingPost both
                > have a bunch of null entries for 2005, 2006, and 2007 (differing
                > fields depending on the specific year).
                >
                > Doug

                I can't speak for anyone else, but complaints that can lead to corrective
                encouraged.

                Tom
              • dsreyn
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007
                  I also neglected to mention - in addition, there are no entries in
                  FieldingPost for these three seasons (2005-2007).