New and expanded Ballpark information, including geolocations

  • Philip Kromer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2007
      Hello,

      [I've crossposted this to the retrosheet list -- sorry if you get
      both. Since this was an effort to match some of the data against BDB
      / Lahman database I wanted to post here too]

      I needed a file that had geolocations for each park, and separately
      wanted to match the BDB team info against the gamelogs database. I've
      taken the retrosheet park info from
      http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/MISC/PKDIR.htm , the old parkcode.txt
      http://www.retrosheet.org/parkcode.txt info, these Google Earth files:
      http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=721289 NL
      http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=721294 AL
      the MLB team info http://mlb.mlb.com/team/index.jsp and David
      Vincent's Alternate Site Games at
      http://www.retrosheet.org/neutral.htm and
      http://www.retrosheet.org/neutral19.htm , smashed it together and made
      a unified file.

      The result contains all teams, names and alternate site info from
      Retrosheet, geolocations, and address and URL info for active teams.

      Please enjoy
      http://vizsage.com/apps/baseball/results/parkinfo/parkinfo-all.xml
      -- This is the best format: it lists all the info hierachically;
      using python's element tree (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm)
      or perl's XML::Simple
      (http://search.cpan.org/~grantm/XML-Simple-2.18/lib/XML/Simple.pm)
      should give you a clean, simple data structur.

      http://vizsage.com/apps/baseball/results/parkinfo/parkinfo-flatall.csv
      http://vizsage.com/apps/baseball/results/parkinfo/parkinfo-flatall.xml
      -- This is the same file, in .csv and in .xml formats, listing the
      parks in a flattened (but still parsable) format; it's not a drop-in
      replacement for parkcodes.txt but it has the same flavor. If people
      are interested in a drop-in parkcodes.txt replacement I can spin that
      off pretty easily.

      Parks
      parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
      name
      -- The current name, or the last name this stadium was known by.
      beg, end, active, games
      -- Dates YYYY-MM-DD for the first and last recorded (according
      to retrosheet gamelogs) games at that stadium (blank for active or
      future sites); whether the site is currently the home stadium for an
      active MLB team; and the total number of gamelogs games at that stadium.
      lat, lng
      -- Geolocation
      streetaddr, extaddr, city, state, country, zip, tel
      -- Address
      url, spanishurl
      -- The main URL for active teams, and the URL for its
      Spanish-language
      logofile
      -- The MLB logo file: prefix
      http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/ to retrieve. I suppose this
      should be a full URL, if someone would like to ship me team logos for
      past teams I'll fix that.

      Teams
      teamID -- Retrosheet teamID, with 'ANA' used for the Los Angeles
      Angels of Anaheim in Orange County, California, USA, Sol 3, Milky Way,
      Local Cluster since 1997 to now.
      parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
      beg, end
      -- Dates YYYY-MM-DD the first and last games recorded by that
      team at that stadium (according to retrosheet gamelogs), blank for
      active or future sites.
      games
      -- total number of gamelogs games at that stadium by that team.
      altsite
      -- Given as "1" if the site is listed in David Vincent's
      Alternate Site Games

      OtherNames
      parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
      name
      -- A name this park was known by. I used the Retrosheet park
      info from http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/MISC/PKDIR.htm to list off
      the official names of each park (flagged with "auth"). If a park was
      labelled in some way in one of my other sources, it was also thrown on
      the heap. Note that this has one exciting and annoying result: 'Polo
      Grounds III' has 'Polo Grounds II' as an OtherName, as it's known that
      way in BDB for instance.
      beg, end
      -- For "auth" names, the seasons that the park was marketed
      under that name
      auth
      -- Was this an official name for the park ('Bank One Ballpark'
      yes, 'The BOB' no)?
      curr
      -- Is this the current or last-used-while-MLB-active name for
      the park?

      Comments
      parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
      comment
      -- comments for each site. There may be some parkcodes.txt
      cruft left in there.

      The flat files give all of the above in the format

      "parkID","name","beg","end","active","games","lat","lng","allteams","allnames","streetaddr","extaddr","city","state","country","zip","tel","url","spanishurl","logofile","allcomments"
      where
      allteams lists each 'team (beg-end) [alt]', with end=>'now' for an
      active park, separated by '; ', and with '[alt]' appended to
      alternate-site games
      allnames lists each 'name (beg-end)', auth names first, with
      end=>'now' for an active park, separated by '; ', and no dates for a
      non-auth team.
      allcomments lists the comments separated by ' | ' in some arbitrary
      order.

      I've left five 'proposed' stadiums in the set, including the future
      NYA stadium and a few others whose status I'm unsure of. These are
      easy enough to remove if the idea offends.

      I'm going to try to spin off a Google Earth .kml file from this data,
      hopefully later tonight, which will placemark all the geolocated sites
      with all the above info in the descriptions.

      Cheers,
      Philip (Flip) Kromer
      http://vizsage.com

      PS If you enjoyed playing with the Google Earth thing, I'd also like
      to point to these other Google Earth files:
      All Minor Lg
      http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/placemarks/997756-minorleague.kmz
      AAA Stadiums http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=47579
      Football http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=12353
      which give geolocations (and neat-o team logos) for minor league and
      football stadiums.