Ted Williams and 1941 AL BB

  • dsreyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13 8:17 PM
      A few years ago, somebody discovered 2 "missing" 1941 walks for Ted
      Williams that had erroneously been uncredited. So Williams had 147
      walks for the season, instead of 145 as listed in most older sources.
      This correction seems to be common to most recent sources. However...

      It appears that the 1941 Red Sox team walk total also needs to be
      bumped up by 2. The Stats, Inc. All-Time Baseball Sourcebook
      (published before the walk correction was discovered) lists the Red
      Sox with 683 walks; this is also the total given in baseball-databank.
      However, with the 2 additional walks credited to Williams, the walks
      for the individual Red Sox players now add to 685.

    • Philip Kromer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15 8:09 AM

        [I've crossposted this to the retrosheet list -- sorry if you get
        both. Since this was an effort to match some of the data against BDB
        / Lahman database I wanted to post here too]

        I needed a file that had geolocations for each park, and separately
        wanted to match the BDB team info against the gamelogs database. I've
        taken the retrosheet park info from
        http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/MISC/PKDIR.htm , the old parkcode.txt
        http://www.retrosheet.org/parkcode.txt info, these Google Earth files:
        http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=721289 NL
        http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=721294 AL
        the MLB team info http://mlb.mlb.com/team/index.jsp and David
        Vincent's Alternate Site Games at
        http://www.retrosheet.org/neutral.htm and
        http://www.retrosheet.org/neutral19.htm , smashed it together and made
        a unified file.

        The result contains all teams, names and alternate site info from
        Retrosheet, geolocations, and address and URL info for active teams.

        Please enjoy
        -- This is the best format: it lists all the info hierachically;
        using python's element tree (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm)
        or perl's XML::Simple
        should give you a clean, simple data structur.

        -- This is the same file, in .csv and in .xml formats, listing the
        parks in a flattened (but still parsable) format; it's not a drop-in
        replacement for parkcodes.txt but it has the same flavor. If people
        are interested in a drop-in parkcodes.txt replacement I can spin that
        off pretty easily.

        parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
        -- The current name, or the last name this stadium was known by.
        beg, end, active, games
        -- Dates YYYY-MM-DD for the first and last recorded (according
        to retrosheet gamelogs) games at that stadium (blank for active or
        future sites); whether the site is currently the home stadium for an
        active MLB team; and the total number of gamelogs games at that stadium.
        lat, lng
        -- Geolocation
        streetaddr, extaddr, city, state, country, zip, tel
        -- Address
        url, spanishurl
        -- The main URL for active teams, and the URL for its
        -- The MLB logo file: prefix
        http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/ to retrieve. I suppose this
        should be a full URL, if someone would like to ship me team logos for
        past teams I'll fix that.

        teamID -- Retrosheet teamID, with 'ANA' used for the Los Angeles
        Angels of Anaheim in Orange County, California, USA, Sol 3, Milky Way,
        Local Cluster since 1997 to now.
        parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
        beg, end
        -- Dates YYYY-MM-DD the first and last games recorded by that
        team at that stadium (according to retrosheet gamelogs), blank for
        active or future sites.
        -- total number of gamelogs games at that stadium by that team.
        -- Given as "1" if the site is listed in David Vincent's
        Alternate Site Games

        parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
        -- A name this park was known by. I used the Retrosheet park
        info from http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/MISC/PKDIR.htm to list off
        the official names of each park (flagged with "auth"). If a park was
        labelled in some way in one of my other sources, it was also thrown on
        the heap. Note that this has one exciting and annoying result: 'Polo
        Grounds III' has 'Polo Grounds II' as an OtherName, as it's known that
        way in BDB for instance.
        beg, end
        -- For "auth" names, the seasons that the park was marketed
        under that name
        -- Was this an official name for the park ('Bank One Ballpark'
        yes, 'The BOB' no)?
        -- Is this the current or last-used-while-MLB-active name for
        the park?

        parkID -- Retrosheet parkID
        -- comments for each site. There may be some parkcodes.txt
        cruft left in there.

        The flat files give all of the above in the format

        allteams lists each 'team (beg-end) [alt]', with end=>'now' for an
        active park, separated by '; ', and with '[alt]' appended to
        alternate-site games
        allnames lists each 'name (beg-end)', auth names first, with
        end=>'now' for an active park, separated by '; ', and no dates for a
        non-auth team.
        allcomments lists the comments separated by ' | ' in some arbitrary

        I've left five 'proposed' stadiums in the set, including the future
        NYA stadium and a few others whose status I'm unsure of. These are
        easy enough to remove if the idea offends.

        I'm going to try to spin off a Google Earth .kml file from this data,
        hopefully later tonight, which will placemark all the geolocated sites
        with all the above info in the descriptions.

        Philip (Flip) Kromer

        PS If you enjoyed playing with the Google Earth thing, I'd also like
        to point to these other Google Earth files:
        All Minor Lg
        AAA Stadiums http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=47579
        Football http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=12353
        which give geolocations (and neat-o team logos) for minor league and
        football stadiums.