Re: Caught Stealing: Al 1912, NL 1913

  • emancip8d
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 5:16 AM
      I posted the 1913 NL CS numbers at
      http://www.kevinharlow.com
      on December 19, 2004. I disagree with a couple of Levitt's CS numbers.
      In the TSN Alex McCarthy is listed with 2 CS, not 0, Cy Seymour is
      listed twice in the article. I think the correct one is 2 SB, 1 CS
      since the 2 SB matches his recorded SB total, as opposed to the 1 SB
      for the mislabeled player that Levitt used. Also, Dick Hoblitzel is
      questionable. I agree that the CS *looks* mostly like 13 (I had
      entered 13 the first pass thru also) but it kind of looks like 12
      also. Given that the SB% was listed as 0.600, I went with 12 CS to go
      with his 18 SB (for a 60% SB%). Also, burnsed01, hearnbu01, stockmi01
      , allismi01,beckzi01, callawe01, dealch01, quinnja01, reedmi01
      ,scheeal01, stewatu01, walshji01 are NOT listed with 0 CS. They just
      aren't included in the list. I don't think you can assume they have 0
      CS when there are players listed with 0 SB.

      Kevin Harlow

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "danrl99" <danrl@...> wrote:

      > I just uploaded an Excel file containing caught stealing information
      > for the AL for 1912 and NL for 1913. The AL data is from The Sporting
      > News 1/30/13 and the NL, 12/11/13.
      >... For some reason, though, when I sum the
      > individual caught stealing, there are 19 less than the overall league
      > total. I reviewed the data to make sure I typed the values correctly
      > and didn't miss anyone, but it's always possible that I overlooked
      > something.
      >
      > --Dan Levitt

    • emancip8d
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 9:54 AM
        A discussion regarding the 1913 NL CS starts at message 2411.
        Kevin Harlow
      • danrl99
        Message 3 of 4 , May 17 8:46 AM
          I made the changes to McCarthy, Seymour and Hoblitzel that Harlow
          recommended for the NL 1913 data. Pete Palmer also came across the
          NL 1913 CS data a couple of years ago and included it in his ESPN BE.
          He used the same values for these three as Harlow suggested.

          Regarding the AL 1912 CS data, Pete confirmed that the italics for the
          1912 AL OCS data in the BE indeed reflected estimated totals based on
          defensive statistics.

          --Dan Levitt