Minor League Data

  • jimjoe.edwards
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 27, 2007
      http://rapidshare.com/files/28249895/minordetails.zip.html

      I'm not sure if this data is already widely distributed or not, but I've never seen it anywhere in CSV format. It comes from a variety of sources both online and offline. The zip should contain an excel file with two sheets: batting(29236 rows) and pitching(29956 rows). The ID field should map to the baseball databank.

      While I've tried to verify the data as much as possible, I can't promise that the information is all correct or complete (I.E. - use it at your own risk). Actually, I'll promise that it does contain some errors and is incomplete. Still, some data is better than no data, right? I'm hoping that if its of some value, that it will continue to be refined and errata will get cleaned out of it much like the MLB data. Anyway, keep up the good work, and please let me know if you find these numbers useful.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27, 2007
        What data (years, leagues) is contained in this file? (I can't seem to download it...)

        "jimjoe.edwards" <jim.joe.edwards@...> wrote:
[...]

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • jimjoe.edwards
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2007
          Sorry, I forgot to include any kind of description. All the players
          reached the majors at some point or another (I don't have the exact
          number handy but its somewhere around 5940 players). The years for
          the data are broken up as:

          1950's - 258 rows
          1960's - 3232 rows
          1970's - 6247 rows
          1980's - 10668 rows
          1990's - 19948 rows
          2000's - 18837 rows

          There's data from 67 different leagues ranging from AAA to D league
          to Japan to a few NCAA and Independent leagues.

          If you're still having trouble downloading it and it sounds like
          something you'd like, I'll see if I can get it uploaded somewhere
          else.

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, KJOK <kjokbaseball@...>
          wrote:

          > What data (years, leagues) is contained in this file? (I can't
          seem to download it...)

          > THANKS,
          > Kevin
          >
          > "jimjoe.edwards" <jim.joe.edwards@...> wrote:

          http://rapidshare.com/files/28249895/minordetails.zip.html

          > I'm not sure if this data is already widely distributed or not,
          but I've never seen it anywhere in CSV format. It comes from a
          variety of sources both online and offline. The zip should contain
          an excel file with two sheets: batting(29236 rows) and pitching
          (29956 rows). The ID field should map to the baseball databank.
          > While I've tried to verify the data as much as possible, I can't
          promise that the information is all correct or complete (I.E. - use
          it at your own risk). Actually, I'll promise that it does contain
          some errors and is incomplete. Still, some data is better than no
          data, right? I'm hoping that if its of some value, that it will
          continue to be refined and errata will get cleaned out of it much
          like the MLB data. Anyway, keep up the good work, and please let me
          know if you find these numbers useful.

          > ---------------------------------
          > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • robert bluestein
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2007
            i have heard of a site, but cannot find it, where player data from the 1870s and up are posted. not sure how accurate any of that is because it's kind of like keeping score of your little league games and so forth, but if anyone knows that site i would love to find it. i am very keen on the birth and adolscence of baseball, right through to the dead-ball era and pre-depression baseball. and i think this tells a great story about the game.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2007
              Thanks for the description.  It was telling me I had exceeded my free limit, even
              though I had never downloaded anything, but returning after about an hour, it
              downloads fine.

              THANKS

              wrote:

              > What data (years, leagues) is contained in this file? (I can't
              seem to download it...)

              > THANKS,
              > Kevin
              >
              > "jimjoe.edwards" <jim.joe.edwards@ ...> wrote:

              http://rapidshare. com/files/ 28249895/ minordetails. zip.html

              > I'm not sure if this data is already widely distributed or not,
              but I've never seen it anywhere in CSV format. It comes from a
              variety of sources both online and offline. The zip should contain
              an excel file with two sheets: batting(29236 rows) and pitching
              (29956 rows). The ID field should map to the baseball databank.
              > While I've tried to verify the data as much as possible, I can't
              promise that the information is all correct or complete (I.E. - use
              it at your own risk). Actually, I'll promise that it does contain
              some errors and is incomplete. Still, some data is better than no
              data, right? I'm hoping that if its of some value, that it will
              continue to be refined and errata will get cleaned out of it much
              like the MLB data. Anyway, keep up the good work, and please let me
              know if you find these numbers useful.

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

              Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

            • Charles
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 28, 2007
                As in Major League data from the late 1800's on? Retrosheet.org and
                baseballreference.com are probably the two preeminent sites for that info.

                --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, robert bluestein

              • SABRMnLgs@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2007
                  I'm not able to download anything here either. All I see is a screen full of something called "Rapid Share" .

                         Jerry Jackson

                  See what's free at AOL.com.
                • P Kreutzer
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 11, 2007
                    There is a message in the middle of the screen instructing you to wait for a download ticket (or buy a pass). When the timer is finished counting down a link appears to take you to the download page. Choose your download server and you'll get your file. I just downloaded a copy, but haven't opened it yet.

                    Peter
                  • Joel Dinda
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 17, 2007
                      A couple nits....

                      o The Joe Hamilton who played outfield in the Red Sox system during the
                      mid-90s isn't the Joey Hamilton who was pitching at San Diego at the
                      same time.
                      o You have Donell Nixon at Lynn in the Midwest League in 1982.
                      Obviously should be Eastern League.

                      On the whole, delightful. Thanks.

                      Joel Dinda

                      On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:44:06 -0000, jimjoe.edwards wrote:
                      [snip]
                      >> While I've tried to verify the data as much as possible, I can't
                      > promise that the information is all correct or complete (I.E. - use
                      > it at your own risk). Actually, I'll promise that it does contain
                      > some errors and is incomplete. Still, some data is better than no
                      > data, right?
                      [snip]
                    • nxnn14
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 5, 2008
                        I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for minor league
                        statistics over the last two decades or so. I see that baseball
                        reference this data but it is difficult to use and was wondering if
                        there is any source of this data in an csv or similar format.

                        Thanks,

                        Nick
                      • Mike Emeigh
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 6, 2008
                          nxnn14 wrote:

                          > I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for minor league
                          > statistics over the last two decades or so. I see that baseball
                          > reference this data but it is difficult to use and was wondering if
                          > there is any source of this data in an csv or similar format.

                          If you are a SABR member, you have access to the initial version of the
                          Minor League database. If you are not, all I can suggest at this point
                          is that you be patient and wait a few months.
                          --
                          Mike Emeigh
                          piratefan1@...

                          "Quantification automatically privileges people who are fond of numbers
                          and marginalizes people who are math phobic." -- James Bach
                        • Rod Nelson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 6, 2008
                            Minor League Data.  The next frontier.

                            http://minors.sabrwebs.org

                            If you have material or time to contribute, please join the effort.

                            Rod Nelson
                          • Chuck Kuhn
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008

                              You can buy all the minor league stats at http://www.baseball-almanac.com/minor-league

                              I played in the minor leagues between 1965 and 1973. I bought the CD and it has every one of my pitching statistics during those years at Class A Duluth, Daytona Beach, Lakeland, and Rocky Mount; Class AA Montgomery; and Class AAA Denver and Toledo, and it has all the stats of all my teammates. It has ALL the stats.

                              Chuck Kuhn

                              If you have material or time to contribute, please join the effort.

                              Rod Nelson

                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008
                                --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "nxnn14" <nxnn14@...> wrote:

                                > I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for minor league
                                > statistics over the last two decades or so. I see that baseball
                                > reference this data but it is difficult to use and was wondering if
                                > there is any source of this data in an csv or similar format.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Nick

                                I've been really impressed with thebaseballcube.com. They even have
                                Japanese and NCAA stats for most recent players.
                              • Clay Dreslough
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008
                                  Rod Nelson wrote:
                                  > http://minors.sabrwebs.org <http://minors.sabrwebs.org>

                                  This link isn't working for me.

                                  Is this the same "Minor League database" that referred to?

                                  Thanks,

                                  Clay
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008

                                    The link recently change to:

                                    http://minors.sabrwebs.com

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008
                                      This is NOT my site, don't even know who it belongs to.

                                                               Jerry