Re: Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Lahman DB and Age Calculation

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
      If someone HAS compiled some minor league stats in electronic form, please let me know, as there is a startup project to try to create a minor league database.

      roca_h@... wrote:
      Sean, do you know of any Minor League database such as Baseball-Reference.
      Many thanks
      regards
      Henri

      .

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
        Sean Forman wrote:

        > This isn't necessarily related. There is also some evidence (and I may be
        > misquoting) that players with August and Sept birthdays are more likely to
        > make the majors. Here is a percentage for players born since 1960.
        > The speculation is that the July and June kids have to play up with older
        > kids in little league and the Aug, Sept kids are the oldest kids in the
        > leagues and get more attention as they are more physically developed. Or
        > maybe parents are just lying to keep their kids back a year.

        So what you're saying is that this is a cultural issue. I have evidence
        that this may be correct.

        +-------+---------+
        | Month | Count |
        +-------+---------+
        | 1 | 6.1284 |
        | 2 | 4.4261 |
        | 3 | 5.3502 |
        | 4 | 11.1868 |
        | 5 | 11.3813 |
        | 6 | 10.7490 |
        | 7 | 10.4572 |
        | 8 | 10.0195 |
        | 9 | 8.2685 |
        | 10 | 8.5117 |
        | 11 | 6.3716 |
        | 12 | 7.1498 |
        +-------+---------+

        The above is the percentage of 2056 players in NPB (Nippon Professional
        Baseball) born in or after 1960. Here the peak is in April and May and
        steadily goes down from there. The school year in Japan starts in
        April, so April and May born kids will tend to be the most physically
        developed in their school years.

        (Note: I did not filter out foreign players, but August/September borns
        don't seem to effect the distribution any.)

        This is an interesting study.

        --
        Michael Westbay
        Writer/System Administrator
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
          -- Sean Forman <sean-forman@...>
          wrote:

          > Tango,
          >
          > There is actually a reasonable reason for using July
          > 1st as the cutoff.
          > When you do that the player's age is given as the
          > age they played most of
          > the year as since July 1st is just about the halfway
          > point of the season. A

          I understand the reason. But if I have 20 players all
          born between Jan 1, 1980 and Dec 31, 1980, their age,
          as of July 1, 2007, will be between 26.5 and 27.5.
          Their average age is therefore 27.0.

          However, if you use the July 1, 2007 Bill James method
          as the cutoff, the players aged "27" will be born
          between July 2, 1979 and July 1, 1980. Those guys are
          aged 27.00 to 27.99, for an average age of 27.5.

          Therefore, if you were to list a group of 20 players
          aged "27" using the Bill James method, they in fact
          are aged, as a group 27.5 years old.

          Except for "age", there is no other number that
          society would floor. All other conventional numbers
          are rounded.

          If there were no such thing as a word called "age",
          season minus birth year is perfectly acceptable. It
          is simply because we treat an age of 27.99 as "27" are
          we having even having this discussion.

          -----------------------------------

          It's here! Your new message!
        • Michael Westbay
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
            I've also run this query through my Taiwanese database (combined CPBL
            and TML players). Out of 1,700 players, these are the results:

            Month Count
            1 8.6%
            2 7.4%
            3 7.6%
            4 6.8%
            5 7.0%
            6 5.7%
            7 5.4%
            8 8.8%
            9 10.1%
            10 11.6%
            11 12.0%
            12 9.1%

            If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the school year starts around the
            end of August, beginning of September in Taiwan, making those born in
            the August to November range the biggest in their classes. Notice how
            the numbers drop steadily starting in December?

            Wow. This is interesting.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
              --- Michael Westbay
              <westbaystars@...> wrote:

              > Wow. This is interesting.

              There was a thread about this on a Freakanomics blog
              entry.

              If you are going to calculate age as a single integer,
              it needs to be done by looking at where the players
              are clustered, whether by when they are born, when
              they are drafted, or when they enter school.

              "Mid-point of season, and flooring the age" is
              meaningless. If you choose a meaningless arbitrary
              point, make the calculation the easiest.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                Here's one such article:
                http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/magazine/07wwln_freak.html?ei=5070&en=1ff54422d3371507&ex=1173502800&pagewanted=all

                Never miss an email again!